Basketball team begins Bill Self Boot Camp

Bill Self can run practice without basketballs and make his players lift weights until their arms fall off, but after one day of his famed “Boot Camp,” he’s going to need to work a little harder to see what his team is made of.

“Nobody threw up,” Andrew White III said. “So it was a real good experience.”

Alas, there’s still time for Self to make his team sick. For the remainder of the week the Kansas men’s basketball team will go through 5:30 a.m. workouts before taking a break for classes, then getting back to the gym.

Keep that in mind if you happen to see any players sleepwalking down Jayhawk Boulevard, and perhaps help them look both ways before they cross the street. You can be sure they’ll need as much assistance as possible.

“It’s a different kind of tired, you know what I mean?” former Kansas player Marcus Morris said to the University Daily Kansan in 2010. “Your body’s tired. You really can’t sleep that much.

Then you’re just running around and doing drills and getting yelled at. It’s just draining.”

Think about that the next time you consider walking onto the team. It doesn’t matter how much playing time you get, Self’s standards hardly change.

“Coach does it for a reason,” White III said. “I think that’s what really brings a lot of guys together.”

Yep, nothing like running wind sprints before the sun comes up to reaffirm the concept of teamwork.

But, for those who’ve been through Self’s Boot Camp before, it’s a chance for voices to become a little louder and set the tone for the year ahead.

“There’s so much communication going on today,” White III said. “Just to make sure everybody was getting through it at the pace we need to have it done.”

White III also said there’s a part of him that enjoys the process. When the Jayhawks are battling through tough games he’ll think back to all these workouts to keep his teammates motivated.

With a heavy non-conference schedule, Kansas must be ready to start grinding out wins early.

The Jayhawks face the Duke Blue Devils just two games into the season, and head to the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament just a couple of weeks after that.

The tough competition has made Self’s Boot Camp more vital this year. Fortunately, even the newcomers have been able to keep up so far — although there’s still plenty of time to draw the ire of Self.

“We didn’t have to do much extra,” White III said. “That’s always good for the first day.”

Blake is a senior from Chicago, Ill., studying journalism on the news and information track. Read more from .

• Updated Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:08 am
  • Edited by Duncan McHenry
  • MICHAEL LANG

SELF IS A GREAT COACH.THE PLAYERS AT KU ARE THE BEST TEAM IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL.NCAA CHAMPS IN MEN BASKETBALL2014. THE LAST TIME THE FINAL FOUR WAS IN TEXAS KU WON THE TITLE.