Hype, rumors surround top recruit
- Aug. 21, 2013
- 0 Comments
Incoming freshman small forward Andrew Wiggins has a lot of hype surrounding him and rightfully so. The top prize of last year’s recruiting period, Wiggins highlight tapes and scouting reports have built up the Toronto native as the next NBA superstar. With all of the stories and rumors floating around about Wiggins’ abilities the Kansan is here to separate fact from fiction and clarify a few points about one of the newest Jayhawks.
• Rivals.com ranked Wiggins the number one overall recruit for 2013. So did ESPN, Scout.com and SLAM Magazine.
• Recently spotted on the red carpet at the ESPY’s where he was honored as the Gatorade Male High School Player of the Year.
• Earned the title Mr. Basketball USA 2013 and played in the McDonald’s All-American game despite being Canadian.
• Has an older brother, Nick, who plays for the Wichita State Shockers.
• Is the son of former NBA player Mitch Wiggins.
• Averaged 23.4 points, 11.2 rebounds, 2.6 blocks and 2.5 assists over his final high school season at Huntington Prep in West Virginia.
• Is projected to be the No.1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft according to NBADraft.net and FoxSports.com.
Blake is a senior from Chicago, Ill., studying journalism on the news and information track. Read more from Blake Schuster.