Crist, Opurum invited to Kansas City’s mini-camp

After McDougald became the first Jayhawk to sign with the Chiefs, two more former Jayhawks followed his footsteps to Kansas City, just 40 minutes west of Lawrence.

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist and defensive end Toben Opurum, both captains for Kansas in 2012, receive an invite to Kansas City’s mini-camp.

Crist will be behind quarterbacks Alex Smith, Chase Daniel, Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney. The Chiefs acquired Smith in a trade with the 49ers and signed Daniel this offseason. Stanzi and Tanney are backups and have yet to take a snap in a regular season game.

Crist transferred from Notre Dame after the 2011 season and earned another year of eligibility, allowing him to play one more season. In his only season with Kansas, Crist threw for 1,313 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Despite struggling in 2012, Crist impressed scouts in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Crist completed seven of 10 passes, including one for a touchdown and also ran for a touchdown. His performance earned him the MVP of the game.

Opurum will likely participate as an outside linebacker under Kansas City’s 3-4 defensive scheme. He’ll work behind Tamba Hali and Justin Houston, both who played in the Pro Bowl this past year.

During Opurum’s senior season, he collected 1.5 sacks and 43 sacks. He finished his career with 6.5 sacks and 110 tackles.

• Updated Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:42 pm