Guard Rio Adams announces he’s leaving Kansas

Freshman guard Rio Adams is no longer part of the Kansas basketball team.

“Anrio and I met today and discussed his feelings and how they have apparently changed,” Coach Bill Self said in a statement. “We discussed everything and talked openly. Together we’ve come to the conclusion that it is in his best interest to pursue other opportunities and go to a place where he has the chance to really impact a program and, preferably, a school that is closer to home. This will allow him to redshirt and have another year to work toward graduation.”

Travis Young/KANSAN Freshman guard Rio Adams grabs his jaw and makes a face near the end of the second half of the match against the no. eight seed North Carolina Tar Heels Sunday night, March 24, at the Sprint Center for the third round of the NCAA Tournament Championship. Kansas defeated the no. eight seed Tar Heels 70-58.

Adams stated his desire to leave the program April 2, when he tweeted, “I’m transferring to another school and will be getting released Tomorrow… I love this team no matter what!!! I’ve learned a lot here!!”

Kansas granted Adams a release from his scholarship on April 3, but the following day he tweeted “I can’t go I love my team too much #KUCMB….” A while later he followed that with “I’m not going anywhere I’m a Jayhawk for life….”

On Monday afternoon, Adams posted on his Twitter “Transferring,” reiterating Self’s statement.

The Seattle native appeared in 24 of 37 games, averaging 3.5 minutes per game and 1.1 points per game. He scored a career-high 11 points in a blowout victory against Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament quarterfinals.

Adams intends to transfer to a school closer to home, but it is unknown what school that will be. ESPN ranked him the No. 26 shooting guard in his class last year, and Rivals named him the No. 98 overall recruit.

With Adams’ departure, Kansas has two available scholarships for next year, although that number would become three if freshman guard Ben McLemore declares for the NBA Draft. He is scheduled to meet with media members at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, presumably to announce his intentions for next season.

Kansas currently has five members in its incoming recruiting class: center Joel Embiid, guard Conner Frankamp, wing Brannen Greene, combo guard Wayne Selden and point guard Frank Mason. All but Mason are top-100 recruits, according to ESPN’s rankings.

• Updated Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:45 am
  • Edited by Jordan Wisdom