Final: Michigan 87, Kansas 85 in overtime

Trey Burke scored two deep 3-pointers late in regulation, and Michigan overcame a five-point deficit with 1:15 left in regulation to send the game into overtime tied at 76.

In overtime, Michigan had an 87-82 lead with 52 seconds left, but senior point guard Elijah johnson hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 87-85. After Kansas forced Michigan into a shot clock violation with 9.4 seconds remaining, Kansas had one last chance. Johnson had an open path to the basket and drove the lane. But instead of going for the layup he kicked the ball out to sophomore guard Naadir Tharpe. His desperation 3-pointer clanged off the backboard, off the rim, and fatally fell to the floor, giving Michigan an 87-85 victory.

Kansas is eliminated in the Sweet 16. Michigan moves on to the Elite Eight.

Freshman guard Ben McLemore scored 20 points, but none after picking up his fourth foul in the second half. Freshman forward Mitch McGary paced Michigan with 25 points. After being held scoreless in the first half, Michigan point guard Trey Burke scored 23 points in the second half and overtime.

• Updated Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm
  • Kyle Stith

Wow, what a choke job….. how much disappointment can one program take? Kansas fans will cry themselves to sleep tonight

• DavidInStLouis

“How much disappointment can one program take?” ???? You mean, like a program that just won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP five years ago? THAT program? :)

• Kyle Stith

That national title is ancient history….. Expect more results like Bucknell and Northern Iowa. All Kansas does is disappoint! KU gets OWNED again. Choke Job of the highest order. Cry yourself to sleep again…..

• DavidInStLouis

Ancient history? ANCIENT HISTORY?? Just what type of timeline do you live in? And enough with the stipulation that I or other Kansas fans are “crying themselves to sleep”. Sheesh.

• Kyle Stith

Hey BabyInStLouis, stop your F-ing crying. I’m trying to get some sleep over here. The last time you won a title was probably before your daddy was born. Get your diaper changed and quit your bitchin’

• DavidInStLouis

WTF are you talking about?

• Kyle Stith

Last title is ancient history. VCU ring a bell? Plus the aforementioned Bucknell & Northern Iowa. And now a 3rd rate Big 10 team…… should be called the Chokehawks. Don’t make me come over there and smack you.

• DavidInStLouis

The point you claimed is that Kansas fans are “crying” or “whining” or “bumming out”. That’s the point I’m countering. I’m not saying that KU hasn’t blown leads or lost games they should not have. That’s true. I’m countering your assertion that I’m a “crybaby” or that “all Kansas does is disappoint”, as you stipulated. That is NOT true. Now please take your namecalliing and YOUR blathering and settle down. I’m done with your blustering. :|

• Name

Why do you have an account on the Kansas school newspaper site?

• Kyle Stith

Kansas, you never disappoint ……. another early exit. Way to go, Gayhawks! Say hello to Dorothy for me!