Weis announces staff changes

Kansas coach Charlie Weis continues to work on the Jayhawks’ football program after a busy signing week last Wednesday.

Weis announced Monday that defensive coordinator Dave Campo is now the assistant head coach for the defense and will coach the defensive backs. Clint Bowen previously coached the defensive backs, but shifted to the linebackers after DeMontie Cross left Kansas for TCU last month.

Rod Jones, who served as a graduate assistant for the defense, will now be the director of high school relations. Maurice Crum Jr., who was also a graduate assistant, will now be the assistant director of operations.

Kansas has hired three new people to join its staff: Louie Matsakis, Max Onyegbule and Ty Greenwood. Matsakis and Onyegbule will return to the Jayhawks but will be working under Weis for the first time.

Matsakis will serve as the director of personnel for Kansas. Before spending the last four years at Youngstown State as the special teams coach, Matsakis spent five of the previous six seasons with Kansas. From 2007 through 2009, he coached the running backs and special teams. From 2004 to 2005, Matsakis was a quality control coach.

Onyegbule, a three-year letterwinner on the Jayhawks defensive line, was part of the Jayhawks team that won the Orange and Insight Bowls in 2007-2008 and 2008-09, respectively. He will return to Kansas as a graduate assistant with the defense. He collected 67 tackles during his time with the Jayhawks.

Kansas also brings Ty Greenwood as a quality control coach for the defense. Greenwood graduated from Delaware State, where he started three years as a defensive back, earned All-MEAC honors and was named the team’s defensive MVP.

• Updated Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 am
  • Edited by Taylor Lewis