Brew: Why college athletes should not be paid

Through the years, the controversial topic on whether or not college athletes should be paid has been a heated discussion that many people have strong opinions on. The subject was recently brought up to me when a friend told me about an article he read in The New York Times in support of paying college athletes. After reading the article myself, I became even more adamant as to why college athletes should not be paid.

The article by Joe Nocera states, “Instead of sweet-talking recruits, college coaches will instead offer athletes real contracts, just as professional teams do.” What is wrong with this kind of system is that every program and university brings in different amounts of money annually for various reasons.

Just like professional sports, small-market teams have a difficult time paying the high-valued athletes. If you take this concept and apply it to college athletics, the same result would occur because small conference schools, like the mid-majors, do not bring in as much money as a the power six conferences.

Later in the article, it mentions, “Providing lifetime health insurance as a benefit for anyone who plays at least two years of college ball is a no-brainer.” A no-brainer? What about the 48.6 million people in this country that the U.S. Census Bureau says does not have any form of health insurance? What about them? When people in our country are struggling to pay for any kind of health insurance on their own, how is OK for college athletes to be entitled to lifetime insurance?

Considering so many college athletes are leaving school early nowadays, why would a school want to invest so much money into a player that may not even stay all fours years? With the scholarships already given, free tutoring provided, per diem money and everything else in between, giving them salary-type money just seems ridiculous and hard for me to comprehend.

The value of a free education can never be underestimated. It takes years for some people to pay off their student loans, and for many college athletes, it is something they will never have to worry about. They already have so much going for them. How can money enhance their lives even more when they are practically already given everything they could ask for?

• Updated Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm
  • Edited by Taylor Lewis
  • http://twitter.com/SportsNotions Sports Notions

Great post Ryan, I’m currently writing on the same point as yourself, not paying the college athletes. It just sends the wrong message to everyone I believe. I’m sure there will be athletes holding out for money and other contractual disputes. Maybe even our kids will be asking for money at the high school level if they think it’s okay for college athletes (who are also not professionals) to get paid.