No. 1 Jayhawks work toward NCAA track championships

The Kansas men and women track and field squads will take part in three different meets this Friday and Saturday, including the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., the ISU Classic in Ames, Iowa, and the Husky Classic in Seattle.

“All of our competition is progressing fast, and I think our athletes are really adapting to that,” said coach Stanley Redwine. “It’s not just an issue anymore of how we are performing compared to last year; it’s how well we’re progressing compared to our competition, and I think we’ll continue to see that.”

The women’s team is having one of its best weeks in recent history after a strong performance at the Armory Collegiate Invitational last weekend in New York. On Tuesday, the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) ranked the women the No. 1 team in the country after spending the first few weeks of the indoor season at No. 2.

On Monday, horizontal jumper Andrea Geubelle was named Division I National Athlete of the Week by the USTFCCCA. On Wednesday, Geubelle received yet another award when she was named Big 12 Female Athlete of the Week.

Of the women’s team being ranked No. 1, Redwine said, “The athletes are definitely excited and we want to keep that excitement, but we also need to make them understand that the target on our back is even larger. We need to continue to compete to the best of our ability and hopefully the recognition will keep coming.”

On the men’s side, the distance medley team of Brendan Soucie, Drew Matthews, Nick Seckfort and Josh Munsch ran a season-best time of 9:46.92 in New York, ranking them 11th in the nation. Kyle Clemons now holds the school record in the 500-meters after his time of 1:01.32, and pole vaulter Alex Bishop is ranked in the top-16 in the nation.

With the Big 12 Indoor Championships just two weeks away and the NCAA Indoor Championships just a month away, both the men and women’s teams will look to improve this weekend in its last weekend of competition before those two meets.

“We’re looking for everyone to keep getting better as the season progresses,” Redwine said. “As we train harder, the performances have continued to get better. We’re excited about where we are but know we haven’t hit our ceiling yet.”

• Updated Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm
  • Edited by Tyler Conover