Brew: Super Bowl coverage is excessive and irrelevant

The Super Bowl is considered the biggest sports game of the year in the United States. Fans around the country host parties, regardless of whether their favorite team is in the game. The game is used as an excuse to fire up the grill and get drunk. So what’s the problem with Superbowl Sunday? The problem is the media.

The media starts covering the Super Bowl literally seconds after both conference championship games are finished and the deciding teams are finalized. For two weeks straight, ESPN spent at least 50 percent of the time covering different stories relating to either team. But what happened to coverage on how each team should prepare for the big game?

For this year’s Super Bowl, the main stories were: 1. Ray Lewis’ retirement, 2. The Harbaugh brothers and 3. Colin Kaepernick. These three stories have swarmed the media, and we almost never hear about the game of football itself.

A lot of focus has been on the Baltimore Ravens’ linebacker Ray Lewis and his retirement after the game. Aside from his legal trouble in the early 2000s, he is considered one of the best defensive players in the past 15 years. He is a leader, and everybody on the Ravens looks up to him.

What was also special about this year was the fact that two brothers were coaching opposing teams for the first time in Super Bowl history. John Harbaugh is the coach of the Baltimore Ravens, and his brother Jim Harbaugh coaches the San Francisco 49ers. Many stories focus on their parents, Jack and Jackie Harbaugh, who, in my opinion, have been harassed by the media on which side they would choose. Basically, the media is asking them which son they like better.

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been shot into the limelight. After former starting quarterback Alex Smith went down with an injury, Kaepernick came in and led the 49ers to the Super Bowl. Kaepernick is a very versatile, young quarterback who will only get better with time. It is a good story seeing him come off the bench and go all the way to the championship, but a lot of attention and pressure was put on him by the media. Questions arise whether or not it was stressful for Kaepernick and too much to handle.

It’s understandable that the big game is about the people involved, but you can’t forget the fact that the game being played is football.

Not only is the sports media losing touch of actually covering the game, but the Super Bowl itself gets way too much coverage. Two weeks is a lot of time to cover just one game. Enough is enough.

• Updated Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm
  • Edited by Taylor Lewis