Cheerleading squad places sixth at Universal Cheerleaders Association Championship

The Kansas cheerleading squad placed sixth on Sunday during the Universal Cheerleaders Association Championship in Orlando, Fla.

The Jayhawks improved this year after finishing 10th in last year’s competition. The cheerleading squad’s 2 1/2 minutes routine included two music portions and a cheer.

“We were very excited,” said senior Jordan Snyder. “This is a big improvement from last year. We were proud of our performance and we were happy with how we were placed.”

The cheerleading squad was seven-tenths of a point short of earning a spot in the top five, which was the expectation from head coach Corey Stone and assistant coach Nami Stone.

“Our longterm goal for the program is to really be in the top three consistently and in the top-tier of teams,” Corey said. “We didn’t quite get that, but we were close. There were a lot of people who after the competition told us that they really liked our routine and were surprised we didn’t place even a little higher. That made us feel good that we are getting close to where we want to be in the top-tier of teams.”

Despite being the head coach, Corey credited his wife, Nami, for the team’s success as it prepared for the UCA competition.

“She’s the one who really does coaching the national squad the most,” Corey said. “She’s at all the practices and she talks to the squads the most afterward.”

The Rock Chalk Dancers also made some noise in Orlando during the Universal Dance Association this past weekend. The dance team finished ninth in the hip-hop category among all Division I schools.

After a two-year hiatus, the dance team returned to the UDA competition under first-year coach Raquel Thomas. Thomas was hoping her team could also place in the top five, but was overall excited to help Kansas make its return and compete in finals.

The University was one of 56 schools that competed in this weekend’s national competition.

• Updated Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm
  • Edited by Laken Rapier