Dayne Crist named NFLPA Collegiate Bowl MVP

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist made an impact for the National team, coached by Dick Vermeil, in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Carson, Calif. on Saturday.

Crist scored the first touchdown of the game early in the second quarter after taking the ball to the end zone himself on a one-yard run. Soon after his rushing touchdown, Crist connected with Rice tight end Luke Wilson on a seven-yard pass to give the National team a 14-0 lead in the second quarter. He was named the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl MVP.

Crist concluded his night with seven-of-10 passes for 61 yards, one passing touchdown and one rushing touchdown. Crist impressed scouts earlier this month in the Casino Del Sol All-Star game when he completed six-of-12 passes for 62 yards and one touchdown.

Kansas offensive linemen Duane Zlatnik and Trevor Marrongelli participated in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl game as well. Kansas defensive ends Toben Opurum and Josh Williams also received playing time in Saturday’s college all-star game. Williams came away with some pressure for the American team and also sacked Crist in the game.

Outside of the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl game, offensive tackle Tanner Hawkinson and safety Bradley McDougald played in the Shrine Bowl Saturday afternoon. Hawkinson saw plenty of action and helped block for Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein in the second quarter while McDougald saw some action on special teams and a little bit on defense.

• Updated Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm