Kansas’ Andrew White III faces familiar foe, Richmond

Freshman guard Anrew White III has a score to settle.

White, who grew up a 15 minute drive from the Richmond campus, will meet Richmond guard Trey Davis on the court for the sixth time since he entered high school when Kansas takes on Richmond at 6p.m. Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Right now, Davis, a reserve guard for the Spiders, holds a one game advantage.

And that one game wasn’t simply a typical, regular season game.

“I played him in public school and Trey Davis knocked me out of my first state tournament,” White said.

“That was a big loss for me. That was 10th grade. Then we both transferred to private schools and we split there.”

White, who is coming off his best game of his young career at Kansas after scoring a career high 15-points against Belmont, was heavily recruited by Richmond in high school and is very familiar with the program.

He used to play pick-up basketball games with the team on the Richmond campus twice a week.

But there will be no conflict of interest for White when he takes the court.

“I’ve always followed Richmond, but I wasn’t necessarily a big, big fan of the program,” White said. “I got to see a lot of games and I always wished them well, but I wasn’t a big fan.”

Against Belmont, White debuted in a new role, playing the four spot in the offense when the Jayhawks decided to run the pick-and-pop offense.

White said although he’s playing at a forward position in the pick-and-pop, the style of play is similar to what he does as a guard and didn’t take much of an adjustment for him.

“Andrew is a good player, he’s one of the best shooters on our team,” Senior guard Travis Releford said. “So to see him out there with the confidence he has and the confidence coach has in him is a good sign for our team.”

When the Jayhawks take on the Spiders, it will be the first meeting since the two teams met in the Sweet Sixteen in 2011.

Kansas coach Bill Self said Richmond runs a lot of similar things to what they ran two years ago.

“We played great the first half against them, but they’re good,” Self said. “They’ve got a couple of guys from that roster that played a lot of minutes then that are big contributors now.”

White doesn’t think he will have trouble focusing on Richmond, despite the Jayhawks having a highly anticipated rematch from last season’s final four against Ohio State on Saturday.

“I’ve been playing basketball long enough to know that every game has to be taken seriously. I’m not a player that just has the star power to look past anybody,” White said.

“Every game I play, I have to prove something to my coach. I’m going to have that same approach, just to do whatever I can to show my coach I can be out there on the court and I’m not a liability.”

• Updated Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm