Sims rushes more than 1,000 yards this season

Kansas running back James Sims became the 12th player in the program’s history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a single-season. Sims rushed for 57 yards in Saturday’s season finale against West Virginia and finished the season with 1,013 yards despite the Jayhawks losing 59-10 against the Mountaineers.

Despite only playing nine games this season, Sims never doubted himself and knew that a 1,000-yard season was still an attainable task. He said the supporting cast on the team played a huge part in his successful season.

“After watching the first three games and the offensive line, as well as they have been playing, they played great and you have to give credit to those guys,” Sims said. “The offensive line did a great job up front and I give them credit. Without them, I wouldn’t even come close to that.”

Even though Sims served a three-game suspension at the beginning of the season, his individual goal was to surpass the 1,000-yard mark. Even with Tony Pierson and Taylor Cox active with their duties as running backs, Sims found a way to earn more than 1,000 yards off 218 carries.

The Jayhawks offense rushed for more than  2,500 yards, and Sims was responsible for 40 percent of that total.

Sims was among one of the best in the Big 12 this season, finishing first in rushing yards per game and sixth in all-purpose yards. He had six consecutive games this season where he ran for more than 100 yards.

With his elusiveness and versatility, Sims knew he had to help out the team and turn it into a three-dimensional team.

“We’ll work on the passing game and get everything down with that,” he said. “We’ll come together in both the run and pass game, and we should be pretty efficient.”

Sims was not part of any victories this year. The Jayhawks picked up its first win of the year during the season opener against South Dakota State, in which Sims did not play in.
With the 2011 season now in the books, the seniors have moved on and the juniors will carry the torch. Sims, who will be a senior next season, is ready to start the offseason and hopes to finish his career in Kansas on a good note, individually and with the team. He said the team will have to work on its weaknesses this offseason. In doing so, Kansas can improve and become an even more competitive football team.

“It’s not going to happen overnight or a week or so,” Sims said. “We have to put in extra work to go where we want to go. After Christmas break hits, all the guys will be ready to go.”

• Updated Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm
  • Edited by Christy Khamphilay