Big 12 recap: Kansas State defeats Texas, wins Big 12 title

Baylor 41 – No. 23 Oklahoma State 34
BU 7-4 (4-5) – OKST 7-5 (5-4)

Baylor continued its recent high level of play and shocked Oklahoma State in the season finale.
After Oklahoma State opened the game with a field goal, Baylor went on a 24-0 run in the first half. Oklahoma State quarterback Clint Chelf threw an interception to linebacker Eddie Lackey, which resulted in a Baylor touchdown on the play. The Bears continued to make big plays after quarterback Nick Florence connected with Tevin Reese on a 75-yard touchdown play to help give Baylor a 31-17 lead at halftime.
The Cowboys found ways to score and cut the deficit, but it was not enough, and a 76-yard touchdown run by Lache Seastrunk helped to seal the game for Baylor.

No. 6 Kansas State 42 – No. 18 Texas 24
KSU 11-1 (8-1) – UT 8-4 (5-4)

Collin Klein and Kansas State returned strong after spending the bye week working on putting the loss to Baylor behind them.
Klein helped bring the running game back to its old form. He rushed for 203 yards and a pair of touchdowns, while running back John Hubert took the ball to the end zone three times. Klein also threw a touchdown pass to wide receiver Tyler Lockett.
But for Texas, it didn’t matter who started at quarterback. After David Ash experienced consistency issues, the Longhorns switched to Case McCoy. However, McCoy ran into trouble, throwing two interceptions and fumbling on a sack.
The Wildcats won the Big 12 and will play against the Oregon Ducks in the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Ariz. on Jan. 3.

No. 11 Oklahoma 24 – Texas Christian 17
OU 10-2 (8-1) – TCU 7-5 (4-5)

Oklahoma was tested by Texas Christian’s defense, but the Sooners overcame the challenge and found ways to pull away with a victory in the end.
After dealing with pressure from the Horned Frogs defense, quarterback Landry Jones threw for two touchdowns. His top target was wide receiver Jalen Saunders, who caught seven passes for 108 yards and a touchdown.
Running back Damien Williams was the difference maker in this game. He rushed for 115 yards and scored touchdowns on the ground and through the air. His 66-yard touchdown run in the second half helped extend Oklahoma’s lead to two possessions. However, the Sooners had issues protecting the football.
TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin helped take advantage of the effort from the defense by scoring two touchdowns. Boykin found Brandon Carter on an 80-yard touchdown pass in the second half to bring the game close, but it was not enough to match Oklahoma’s offense.

• Updated Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm
  • Edited by Nikki Wentling