Big 12 Predictions, Week 13

No. 18 Texas 8-3 (5-3) at No. 6 Kansas State 10-1 (7-1)

Kansas State will return to action after losing to Baylor two weeks ago. The BCS Championship match is out of reach for K-State. All it can do now is focus on winning the Big 12.

Texas coach Mack Brown’s best approach is to study game film on K-State’s loss to Baylor and figure out how his Longhorns can duplicate that success. But along with studying film, Brown must also improve the run defense, which is ranked last in the Big 12.

K-State’s rush offense, primarily led by Collin Klein and John Hubert, is one of the best in the Big 12. The two combine for 32 rushing touchdowns this season and can use that to their advantage against a weak rush defense on Saturday to pick up a win and lock up the conference.

Kansas State wins, 42-21

No. 23 Oklahoma State 7-4 (5-3) at Baylor 6-5 (3-5)

Baylor has been on a roll lately with wins against K-State and Texas Tech. The Bears scored 52 points in each of those two games. Can they do it again against Oklahoma State to conclude a three-game home stand?

The Bears recent hot run is due to the 564 yards they’ve gained on the ground. Neither K-State nor Texas Tech had an answer for the running game. Oklahoma State has played well against the run and is one of the better run-stopping teams in the league.

But what’s more impressive about Oklahoma State is that it’s being led by Clint Chelf. Chelf has led the Cowboys to a 2-2 record with two close losses to K-State and Oklahoma. If he continues to play well, he can end Baylor’s run.

Expect Chelf to play well and lead Oklahoma State to victory. Baylor’s offense will find a way to keep it close with Nick Florence taking the snaps, but turnovers could be an issue for the Bears.

Oklahoma State wins, 49-45

No. 11 Oklahoma 9-2 (7-1) at Texas Christian 7-4 (4-4)

If Kansas State concludes the season with a loss, it provides Oklahoma the opportunity to strike and take the conference. With the help of Texas, Oklahoma must come out strong against TCU this weekend.

Landry Jones has talented players across the board to work with. His running backs, wide receivers and even Blake Bell, the backup quarterback, have contributed significantly to the offense. But he must overcome one more obstacle this regular season against Texas Christian.

TCU’s rush defense should have an easy time stopping Damien Williams and Brennan Clay. However, Gary Patterson’s defense will stumble against against receivers Kenny Stills, Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders. If the Horned Frogs’ offense can’t keep up, the game will go to Oklahoma.

Oklahoma wins, 31-10

• Updated Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm
  • Edited by Ryan McCarthy