Brew: College football excitement continues this weekend

Although the matchup for the BCS National Championship Game is almost set in stone with Notre Dame playing either Alabama or Georgia, there’s still college football to be played. For fans who hate Notre Dame and root for teams that have already been eliminated from BCS Championship contention, don’t fret. There’s plenty of exciting college football for you to watch this weekend.

Kansas is also playing West Virginia this weekend, so there’s that to look forward to.

SEC Championship Game
No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide and No. 3 Georgia Bulldogs will be competing in the Southeast Conference Championship Game on Saturday in the Georgia Dome. This year’s SEC title game is captivating because of its role as a de facto semifinal game to play in the BCS Championship. The winner of this game will obtain two remarkable distinctions: the champion of the best conference in the country and the second team in the national championship game.  With two talented, top-five teams competing against one another at a neutral site, it doesn’t get much more exciting than this in the regular season.

Pac-12 Championship Game
This year’s Pac-12 Championship Game is exciting because two teams expected to be in the game, Oregon and USC, are absent. Instead, No. 8 Stanford and No. 16 UCLA will be competing for the Pac-12 title and a berth in the Rose Bowl. In a rare scheduling quirk, these two teams will be facing each this Friday after also playing against each other at UCLA last Saturday. UCLA is looking to bounce back against the Cardinal after being defeated 35-17 in the teams’ last meeting.

Big Ten Championship Game
No. 12 Nebraska and unranked Wisconsin will face off on Saturday in the Big Ten Championship at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Wis. The conference’s representative in the last two Rose Bowls has had a bit of a down year going 7-5. Ohio State and Penn State are both ineligible for the championship game, which also helped Wisconsin. Nebraska showed stark improvement in the team’s second season in the conference, going 10-2 and earning an opportunity to win the school’s first conference championship since its Big 12 title in 1999.

Texas at Kansas State
In an interesting non-championship game matchup, the Texas Longhorns will travel to Manhattan in hopes of spoiling K-State’s chances at its first Big 12 Championship since 2003. The Wildcats are looking to respond after a 52-24 loss to Baylor knocked them out of the running to play for the national title. Texas is looking to rebound from a disappointing Thanksgiving weekend loss to an undermanned TCU team.

Oklahoma at TCU
If Texas can upset K-State, a win by Oklahoma over TCU would enable the Sooners to represent the Big 12 in the BCS, most likely the Fiesta Bowl. A K-State win would eliminate Oklahoma’s opportunity to earn an at-large bid in the BCS, but look for Oklahoma to come out inspired after last week’s emotional overtime win over rival Oklahoma State.

• Updated Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm
  • Edited by Luke Ranker