Brew: Thanksgiving, a day to celebrate football

My family always likes to make Thanksgiving Day a quality celebration.

Whether it’s going to the family farm or seeing the Plaza Lighting ceremony, we’ve found reasons to gather around the table, overeat and enjoy each other’s company. But in the same way pumpkin pie is a turkey day necessity, so is football. Food-coma naps and group activities are planned around the games, as the interruption of football watching has become an unthinkable act in the Long household.

The history of Thanksgiving Day games dates back to 1920, the year  the league was founded, and teams often wear throwback uniforms for the occasion. Here is a quick preview of the three NFL games on this year’s Thanksgiving day slate.

Houston Texans at Detroit Lions – 11:30 a.m. CBS

On paper, this matchup looks to be quite lopsided, but this one could get interesting. Detroit has a history of playing Thanksgiving Day games, having played the most all-time and tallying 33 wins, while the Texans will be playing in their first turkey day game. Although the Texans have been winning of late, their performances have lacked the luster that they once had earlier in the season. Houston needed overtime to beat a spiraling Jacksonville squad without its starting quarterback, Blaine Gabbert. Though Detroit comes into the game with a record of 4-6, their losses have come at an average of just more than six points per game. Expect Ford Field in Detroit to be rocking for this one.

Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys – 3:15 p.m.  FOX

Naturally, Jerry Jones would find a way to land a Thanksgiving game annually in the football palace that is Cowboys Stadium. However, this particular matchup is intriguing in the increasingly competitive NFC East. If Robert Griffin III can pull off a win, the Redskins can climb to within a game and a half of the division lead. RGIII has led a big turnaround in the capital city, and a prime-time game for the rookie quarterback could be a major stepping-stone to playoff contention. The Redskins will come into the game hot off a 31-6 win against Philadelphia while Dallas is coming off a win as well in overtime against the Cleveland Browns.

New England Patriots at New York Jets – 7:20 p.m.  NBC

The evening matchup provides a heated rivalry of AFC East teams. Jets coach Rex Ryan has a history of running his mouth, including promising wins over the Patriots in the past. These two teams have exchanged physical battles the past few seasons, with the Patriots winning the most recent matchup in overtime in Foxboro on Week 7. The Patriots can all but secure the division title with a win, but the Jets have a notorious past for playing spoiler. Anticipate a hard-hitting, close contest between these two teams in the prime-time game. If the Jets can find a way to put up a few points, this one could be a great game.

• Updated Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm
  • Edited by Andrew Ruszczyk
  • Merlin Drake

We have a good slate of Thanksgiving games coming up this Thursday. I like how the NFL added a third matchup since how could more football after a good dinner be a bad thing. I a don’t know if I’m going to make it back in time for the Patriots and Jets’ kickoff, but I set a timer for it through my DISH Hopper GameFinder app so I won’t miss it. I’ve been able to find and set recordings for games more quickly since a coworker at DISH told me about this feature. I hope the Jets can find a way to pull an upset against the Patriots this year!