2012 Big 12 Predictions, Nov. 17

No. 1 Kansas State 10-0 (7-0) at Baylor 4-5 (1-5)

Kansas State will visit a struggling Baylor team that has won only one game in the conference. Kansas State currently owns the No. 1 rank in the BCS and wants to hold on to that.

Kansas coach Bill Snyder won’t do anything different offensively to prepare for this game. The Wildcats won’t have any problems running the ball against a weak run defense.

Baylor knows it must bring its best effort against a good Kansas State team. In doing so, the Bears must have Nick Florence and Terrance Williams on the same page against the Wildcats’ defense.

But Kansas State’s rushing attack, provided by Collin Klein and John Hubert, will be too much for Baylor to handle.

Prediction: Kansas State wins, 38-10

No. 12 Oklahoma 7-2 (5-1) at West Virginia 5-4 (2-4)

West Virginia’s season hasn’t gone its way this year. The Mountaineers have allowed 41 points per game, and that does not bode well for their matchup this week against the Sooners, who’ve scored 40 points per game.

Landry Jones has done a good job this season as he’s distributed the ball well with receivers Justin Brown and Kenny Stills in particular. West Virginia’s defense will have a hard time defending Brown and Stills and stopping the run against Damien Williams and Brennan Clay.

West Virginia’s defense, led by quarterback Geno Smith, will be able to score against Oklahoma’s defense coordinated by Mike Stoops. However, until its defense learns to prevent opponents from lighting up the scoreboard, its losing streak will continue.

Prediction: Oklahoma wins, 56-35

No. 23 Texas Tech 7-3 (4-3) at No. 24 Oklahoma State 6-3 (4-2)

Saturday’s matchup between Texas Tech and Oklahoma State features a battle between two similar Big 12 teams that are beside each other in the BCS rankings.

Oklahoma State has succeeded under different quarterbacks this season and remain  one of the top-scoring teams in the nation. Texas Tech’s offense has dominated in the passing game and rank first in the nation in total passing yards.

The winner of this game will be decided by which team has the better defense on Saturday. The bad news for Oklahoma State fans is the fact that the Cowboys haven’t consistently defended well against the pass.

Seth Doege leads the Big 12 in touchdown passes and has some of the biggest end zone threats in college football today in Darrin Moore and Eric Ward.

Prediction: Texas Tech wins, 41-31

• Updated Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm
  • Edited by Stéphane Roque