KU men’s basketball team to sign four-star player for 2013 season

The Kansas men’s basketball team’s 2013 class added another player when Joel Embiid, a 7-foot center from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., made a verbal commitment to the Jayhawks on Tuesday.

Embiid, a four-star recruit according to rivals.com, is a Cameroon native who came to the U.S. last year. He participated in the NBA and FIBA’s “Basketball without Borders” program.

Embiid, who didn’t start playing basketball until the age of 16, transferred to the Rock School after playing last season for Montverde Academy in Florida.

“Proud to be a Jayhawk,” Embiid tweeted from his account @jojo_embiid on Tuesday morning.

Embiid joins a 2013 recruiting class that already includes three four-star players according to rivals.com — guards Wayne Selden and Conner Frankamp, and forward Brannen Greene — and  three-star guard Frank Mason.

Two Jayhawks named to watch list

Kansas senior center Jeff Withey and freshman guard Ben McLemore were named to the 2012-2013 Naismith early season watch list by the Atlanta Tip-off club on Tuesday.

In the Jayhawks first game of the season against Southeast Missouri State, Withey scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. The 2012 Big 12 defensive player of the year was named to the Wooden preseason top 50 list and was also selected as an AP Preseason All-America Honorable Mention.

McLemore scored nine points and grabbed 12 rebounds in his first career game. The freshman was forced to redshirt last season after being ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA.

The Atlanta Tip-off club will trim the list down to 30 names in late February before the voting academy will cut the list to the final four candidates in March.

• Updated Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:09 pm
  • Edited by Sarah McCabe