Brew: Manziel dazzles, championship picture still unclear

They call him “Johnny Football.” He leads a top 10 team in the Southeastern Conference.  He makes plays that are only seen in video games.  And he’s only a freshman.

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is quickly making a name for himself. Outside of his eye-popping numbers, Manziel has been able to  find a way to get the job done. Whether it’s with his arm or his legs, he has captured the nation’s attention,  especially after knocking off previous number one ranked Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

One play against the Crimson Tide serves as a microcosm for just what “Johnny Football” has been so far this year. On 3rd and goal from the 10-yard line, Manziel dropped back to pass against the Alabama defense. With the pocket collapsing, the ball was popped up into the air out of Manziel’s hands. Calmly, Manziel tracked down the ball, rolled to his left, and found a wide-open receiver for a touchdown.

It almost seemed like an early sign that the Aggies would defeat the Crimson Tide. There was a different feeling to that game. That’s what “Johnny Football” provides.

Manziel is one of the most watchable players in college football. He makes instinctual plays that others simply cannot make, and he’s done it against the highest level of competition. He has the ‘it’ factor, the poise and playmaking ability. And again I remind you; he’s just a freshman.

Make sure to tune in the next time Texas A&M plays. You may be watching a future Heisman Trophy winner.

The BCS National Championship picture could get interesting.

With just two weeks left in the regular season, the remaining undefeated teams – Oregon, Kansas State and Notre Dame – face a tough road to the title game.

No. 1 ranked Kansas State may have the easiest track to playing for a BCS Championship. The Wildcats play a road game at Baylor, and finish the season at home against Texas. It’s hard to think the most disciplined and well-coached team in college football would slip up with a title on the line.

Coach Snyder’s boys will be ready to go in each contest, and will also benefit from not having a conference championship game to play.

Second-ranked Oregon faces two ranked teams in the final weeks, and would face another ranked opponent, either UCLA or USC in their conference title game. While the Ducks have proved they can handle the highest competition, they have no simple task ahead of them.

Notre Dame has played superb on defense, and well enough on offense to maintain its unblemished record. The Fighting Irish could also benefit from not having a conference championship game, but still have to go on the road against USC to end the season. Notre Dame appears to be on the outside looking in, and would need some help to sneak into the BCS National Championship game.

Regardless of the outcome, any combination of the three would provide for an entertaining matchup. Oregon boasts the number one offense while Notre Dame has the number one defense, each based on points per game. Kansas State is top-15 in both categories and leads the nation in turnover differential.

• Updated Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm
  • Edited by Andrew Ruszczyk