Coach discuss concerns about Hurricane Sandy

Although the events of Hurricane Sandy were on the East Coast, a couple of Kansas football coaches have close family members back home dealing with the aftermath of the storm.

Kansas coach Charlie Weis, who built connections while coaching six different organizations in the Northeast region, has friends and close family members in the East Coast. A majority of his family is without power as other members try to help one another.

Weis’ mother, father and one of his brothers are deprived of electricity. Weis’ sister and other brother have offered help. Weis knows his family is okay, but what he remembers of his home state of New Jersey has changed.

“It’s a disaster,” he said. “You hear people say how bad it is, it’s that bad.”

An amusement park Weis went to growing up has been wiped out. Jon Bon Jovi, a friend of Weis, said ‘the Jersey Shore, as we know it, does not exist.’

“That’s a strong statement,” Weis said. “And if you think about it, I’ve been following it as much as I possibly can and trying to reach some people and make sure they are okay. Everyone I know is okay, physically they’re okay, but there’s a lot of damage and it’s going to take a long time to repair all that stuff.”

Defensive coordinator Dave Campo, born in Gorton, Conn., has kept in touch with his dad, who lives in Mystic, Conn. Campo’s father didn’t take much damage from the hurricane.

Campo said he was lucky and didn’t lose any power, but is thankful that his dad and other friends are okay.

“I’ve got a few friends who I talk to back there, and it’s not the same anymore,” Campo said. “I was worried about my dad. I called him about 10 times during the course of the day as it was going on.”

• Updated Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm