2012 Big 12 predictions, Nov. 10

No. 2 Kansas State 9-0 (6-0) at Texas Christian 6-3 (3-3)

K-State coach Bill Snyder was hopeful earlier this week that Collin Klein would play against Texas Christian later this week. The Wildcats will need him, but even if Klein is absent, they are loaded with talent on all three phases of the game.
Cornerback Allen Chapman and kick returner Tyler Lockett captured Big 12 Player of the Week honors. The defense racked up five turnovers last week against Oklahoma State and look to help the team again by gaining takeaways.
But TCU presents a big challenge for K-State. The Horned Frogs are second in the Big 12 against the run, where the Wildcats have excelled this season. This conference matchup features the top two run-stopping defenses in the Big 12.
K-State hasn’t played well against the pass this season. However, K-State holds a positive 18 turnovers ratio and committed only one giveaway in its last six games. TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin will struggle moving the ball on the Wildcats.

Prediction: Kansas State wins, 38-17

Baylor 4-4 (1-4) at No. 12 Oklahoma 6-2 (4-1)

Baylor’s explosive offense went over 600 yards of total offense last week against Kansas. This week, it faces the best pass defense in the Big 12 in Oklahoma.
The Sooners have won their last four Big 12 games, not allowing more than 21 points in a game during that stretch. Oklahoma has dominated its opponents on all three facets of the game.
Baylor coach Art Briles must strategize a game plan to limit Oklahoma. But with the Bears picking up only one win in the conference this year, it will be hard for them to walk out of Norman with a win.

Prediction: Oklahoma wins, 51-24

Iowa State 5-4 (2-4) at No. 17 Texas 7-2 (4-2)

Iowa State’s conference season has been up and down this year. The Cyclones have had quarterback Steele Jantz back for a couple of full games now, but that hasn’t made a difference for them.
David Ash turned things around after a rough week before. Ash also has two good running backs in Jonathan Gray and Joe Bergeron. Gray and Bergeron complement each other well and will be the key to beating Iowa State.
Texas formed a four-game winning streak before losing back-to-back to West Virginia and Oklahoma. If Texas wins, it will have won four straight for the second time this year.
The Longhorns will dedicate this game to former head coach Darrell Royal.

Prediction: Texas wins, 35-20

West Virginia 6-3 (2-3) at Oklahoma State 5-3 (3-2)

Coming into the Big 12 as one of the favorites to win the conference, West Virginia has slipped and is currently riding a three-game losing streak.
Quarterback Geno Smith has lost attention as defenses proved he’s not invincible. He’s thrown five touchdowns and three interceptions during the team’s three-game losing streak after throwing 24 touchdowns and no interceptions in the first five games.
Oklahoma State has a lot of momentum going into this game. The Cowboys are in the top 10 in the nation in scoring while the Mountaineers are last in the Big 12 in defense. Running back Joseph Randle may stumble against West Virginia’s defense, but quarterbacks Wes Lunt and Clint Chelf, depending on who plays, have receivers Tracey Moore and Josh Stewart to pass to against a weak pass defense.

Prediction: Oklahoma State wins, 41-31

• Updated Nov. 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm
  • Edited by Madison Schultz