James Sims shows what KU football could be

Junior running back James Sims is a model of what could be for the Kansas Jayhawks.

Sims leads the Big 12 in rushing with 657-yards, is averaging five yards per carry, and has four touchdowns. That’s after sitting out Kansas’ first conference match up against Texas Christian University because of his suspension.

Yes, James Sims is the workhorse for the Jayhawks. He should inspire hope Kansas can recruit top talent, but Sims alone will not bring the Jayhawks’ their first conference win in 19 attempts this Saturday against Texas Tech University.

“Everything is just living off James Sims,” Weis said on the Monday teleconference call. “We’re going to continue to lose because we need to score more points. Everyone else needs to play significantly better or things aren’t going to go too well.”

Meaning quarterback Michael Cummings’ nine for 19 passing, 81-yards and two interceptions won’t cut it. Nor will the defense giving up an average of 45 points on the road—compared to giving up an average of 20 points at home.

Yet, from the beginning of the season Weis talked about making the Jayhawks tougher in every aspect of the game. And, even though it won’t score as many points, one of the ways to teach that toughness is through running the ball.

“The best players on our team are our running backs,” Weis said. “It helps to start to establish an identity of being a tougher football team by being able to run the ball.”

Toughness is great, but the Jayhawks need more points.

Consider this: Texas Tech quarterback Seth Doege has thrown 31 touchdowns this season on only eight interceptions, while Kansas has only scored 19 touchdowns total. Add in the Red Raiders run game and they double the Jayhawks’ scoring total.

If that didn’t make Kansas’ life hard enough, TTU also has a top twenty defense.

“The touchdown to interception ratio is astronomical,” Weis said. “They’ve thrown more touchdowns than any other quarterback in this league and that’s saying something.”

It’s saying that based on how Kansas has performed on the road this year it could be a long day in Lubbock, Texas. Especially considering that putting together a 60-minute game is something the Jayhawks’ have struggled with all year.

“Being competitive for a half just isn’t good enough,” Weis said. “You come out in the second half and basically do nothing on either side of the ball. It’s obviously my responsibility, but we have to do a much better job on the road.”

Blake is a senior from Chicago, Ill., studying journalism on the news and information track. Read more from .

• Updated Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:01 am
  • Edited by Hannah Wise