Brew: Kansas City wants relevance on the NFL stage again

For 18 long years, the Kansas Chiefs have failed to win a playoff game. Despite this, Chiefs fans have long been considered some of the best in the NFL.
Under GM Scott Pioli and Owner Clark Hunt, the Chiefs franchise has changed.  I can’t quite tell you when it happened, but this current management has changed my view on the Chiefs. Pioli and Hunt have an arrogance about themselves that has isolated the fans from the team.

The frustration of fans is hogging the radio, written about in the papers and is seen at Arrowhead Stadium. Arrowhead, which the Chiefs have dubbed “the loudest stadium in the NFL,” is no longer a scary proposition for opposing teams. The atmosphere has changed since Pioli joined the Chiefs in 2009, and bad decisions are constantly being made.

Kansas City currently has over $20 million in unused salary cap space. This is concerning for a fan, especially when the team let Brandon Carr leave for more money in Dallas. Carr, 26, is a very good NFL cornerback with his best years ahead.

In addition to the departure of Carr is the looming exit of Dwayne Bowe. The Chiefs best wide receiver is reportedly wanting out and will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason. Pioli failed to reach a deal with Bowe on a long-term contract during the summer, and instead placed the franchise tag on Bowe. The team selected the cheapest option and now are all but guaranteed to lose him to free agency.

In addition to these recent errors, Pioli started his reign by drafting Tyson Jackson with the third overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft and signing Matt Cassel to a $63 million dollar contract through 2014. Jackson has steadily improved as a defensive end, collecting a career high of 55 tackles in 2011. He was a huge reach when we drafted him and has never played up to the level of a top pick.

This is where we come to Matt Cassel. The quarterback played well in New England when replacing an injured Tom Brady in 2008, and Pioli brought Cassel with him to Kansas City. During his time in Kansas City, Cassel is 19-25 with one division title. In 2010, Cassel threw 27 touchdowns and seven interceptions under the guidance of current Kansas coach Charlie Weis, who was the Chiefs offensive coordinator. In the three other seasons as the Chiefs signal caller, Cassel has thrown three more interceptions than touchdowns. The recent demotion of Cassel in favor of Brady Quinn means the team will likely need to draft a quarterback for the first time since 1985.

Cassel is often one of the biggest issues with Pioli and the Chiefs organization. This was no more evident than when Chiefs fans cheered the entry of Brady Quinn into the game while Cassel remained injured on the field. However, Brady Quinn is not the answer, and his first game against Tampa Bay proved it.
The 2011 season saw the Chiefs lose key players to injury and exposing the lack of depth in the roster.  The lack of depth is primarily through poor drafts during Pioli’s tenure as GM. In the 2012 NFL Draft, the Chiefs selected defensive tackle Dontari Poe. The Memphis player had an incredible NFL combine, vaulting his draft status despite the lack of performance on the field in college.

These issues have led to the deterioration of the relationship between the fans and the team. Pioli is at a pivotal point with the fans and needs to rethink how the team is run before the fans desert the Chiefs.

• Updated Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm
  • Edited by Stéphane Roque
  • trye

Recently, the site specializes in sports aesthetic “Uni Watch” for the 30 jersey 2012 NBA jerseys selection, the result of the vote is the best: Boston Celtics jersey design,finished second in the San Antonio Spurs jersey name, the Los Angeles Lakers jersey ranked third, finished fourth in the Golden State Warriors and Utah Jazz jersey. The worst design Sacramento Kings jersey, ranked last.And what do you think about 2012 NBA jerseys ?