Texas coach praises Weis, says Kansas has improved

Although the Kansas Jayhawks and the Texas Longhorns are headed in different directions after seven weeks of football, they will clash in Lawrence this weekend.

Texas coach Mack Brown said during Monday’s Big 12 teleconference that the Kansas is an improved team despite its 1-6 record.

“They are a much better football team than the one we played last year,” Brown said. “They’re running the ball well.”

Brown had nothing but praise for Kansas coach Charlie Weis. He said Weis’ resume speaks for itself.

“But when you look at Charlie, he to me is one of the great coaches in the country,” Brown said. “What he did with Bill Belichick and the Patriots is just unbelievable. I thought he did a great job at Notre Dame. And see what he did with the Kansas City Chiefs in turning that offense around immediately.”

Brown said that hiring Dave Campo as defensive coordinator was a “brilliant choice” because Campo has a history of coaching in the NFL and in college.

Big 12 shoot-outs

Six teams in the conference are in the top 15 for offensive scoring. Only TCU, Iowa State and Kansas rank below the top 25 in points scored.

“It’s a fun league to be in right now,” Brown said. “The fans are seeing great football games. And for the people who like to see scoring, you are seeing a lot of scoring in this league.”

Brown said the Big 12 is the most competitive it has been in the 15 years he’s been at Texas.

“It’s just crazy with the speed,” Brown said. “What you’re having to do now and not in the past is that you have to play every week.”

Over the weekend, the Big 12 actually had more touchdowns than punts (48 and 47, respectively) something that is directly linked to the high octane offenses.

“The first thing everybody wants to do is fire their defensive coordinator because everyone has a quarterback and everybody can move the ball,” Brown said.

Bringing the intensity

Though the Longhorns are sitting at No. 25 in the nation with a 5-2 record, Brown realizes he has to find a way to keep motivating his team.
His team played 34 freshmen over the past two years. Brown said it’s difficult to keep motivating younger teams but it’s something that has to be done.

“We have to get every ounce of energy out of everyone every day because we aren’t good enough to beat anyone right now unless we are playing with intensity and playing at our highest level,” Brown said.

• Updated Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm
  • Edited by Emma McElhaney