Weis to study Oklahoma before making a decision about quarterbacks

If you’re holding your breath to see who will start at quarterback for Kansas against Oklahoma on Saturday, grab another taste of air.

On Monday morning’s teleconference coach Charlie Weis held off the decision for a while longer, saying that he needed to study both Dayne Crist and Michael Cummings further before giving an update at his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

“What I need to do, as we’re early in the game planning stages for Oklahoma, is see exactly what puts us in the best chance of winning,” Weis said. “Once we’ve gotten all the information I’ll go ahead and say who that is.”

Michael Cummings entered Kansas’ 20-14 loss to Oklahoma State late in the third quarter and commanded two scoring drives for the Jayhawks as they attempted a last minute comeback.

While it may have been Cummings who sparked the comeback, it was running back James Sims that led it.

Sims rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter providing large assistance to inexperienced Cummings.

Weis said that since Sims has returned he’s been a work horse for the team.

“He runs tough, he gets the edge, he picks up the blitz and he helps us in the passing game. In the fourth quarter when the game was on the line and we kept feeding it to him, the team really rallied around how tough he was running,” Weis said.

It was the first time all season the Jayhawks had won the fourth quarter. And for Weis and his team it was one giant step in a positive direction.

Weis said that despite his disappoint over the loss, he was proud of how the team fought.

“It wasn’t like we were waiting for something bad to happen, we were trying to make something good happen,” he said.

Kansas will now enter the practice week with a legitimate quarterback battle and momentum to build from. Against a No. 10 ranked Sooners team that beat Texas, the Jayhawks will need every advantage they can get.

“They are well coached, have good players and are physical,” Weis said of Oklahoma. “That’s the game they play, they don’t try to beat you by trickery and deceit, they just line up and try to smash you in the mouth. It’s kind of old fashioned defense and they are really good at it.”

Blake is a senior from Chicago, Ill., studying journalism on the news and information track. Read more from .

• Updated Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:10 am
  • Edited by Luke Ranker
  • steve04KU

It would be wise of Weis to NOT name a starter until game time. Make OU gameplan for 2 QB’s.

• xz007

OU’s gameplanning for 2 QBS:

Cummings – “Hmmm. A redshirt freshman, but he has some poise, could be a threat, maybe we should strategize.”

Crist – “HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, we’ve sooooooo got this in the bag.”