Big 12 Rankings for Week 5

1. Kansas State 4-0 (1-0)
Coach Bill Snyder and his players earned a well deserved bye week after a huge win on the road against Oklahoma. Kansas State knocked off the Sooners and are sitting on top of the conference. Their upcoming game against Kansas can only add to their successful season.

2. West Virginia 4-0 (1-0)
Teams in the top 25 shouldn’t be giving up 63 points. But West Virginia was fortunate that they had senior quarterback Geno Smith. Smith’s eight touchdown passes lifted the Mountaineers to victory in the wild shootout. Coach Dana Holgorsen knows his defense has to do better when they go on the road to Texas.

3. Texas 4-0 (1-0)
Texas was challenged by Oklahoma State in a tough environment. However, the Longhorns remained focused. Sophomore running back Joe Bergeron pushed his way through for the game-winning touchdown with 29 seconds left to keep their status as one of the top tier teams in the conference.

4. Texas Christian 4-0 (1-0)
Texas Christian’s offense has not been hot when it comes to scoring. But their defense has been the key reason for their 4-0 start so far. They’ve given up 29 points this season and are second in the nation in points allowed. After a weekend of high-scoring Big 12 games, TCU’s defense will be tested in a couple of conference encounters this season.

5. Oklahoma 2-1 (0-1)
Oklahoma wished that they could have played this week to get their mind off last week’s loss to Kansas State. But the bye week did give coach Bob Stoops a chance to work with his teams on areas where they can improve before visiting in-state rivals Texas Tech and hosting Texas the following week.

6. Baylor 3-1 (0-1)
Senior quarterback Nick Florence proved to the rest of the conference that Baylor’s offense is as good as any  in the Big 12. Even though they burned the scoreboard with 63 points, their defense will have a hard time competing in the Big 12 and staying in the top 25 after giving up 70 points to West Virginia.

7. Oklahoma State 2-2 (0-1)
Oklahoma State’s top-ranked scoring offense is not enough to earn a spot in the top 25. Their inconsistency has hurt them immensely. They’ve gone 0-2 against ranked opponents this season and will use this bye week to regroup before visiting Kansas.

8. Texas Tech 4-0 (1-0)
Texas Tech was not held to high standards before the season. But now that they are 4-0, the Red Raiders are trying to show that they can play in the conference. While they picked up a win against Iowa State, they still have a lot to prove before being labeled as one of the competitive teams in the Big 12. They will have that opportunity as their next five opponents are currently ranked in the top 25.

9. Iowa State 3-1 (0-1)
Iowa State suffered their first loss of the season at home to Texas Tech. Iowa State wants to rebound, but have to forget last week’s loss when they visit Texas Christian.

10. Kansas 1-3 (0-1)
Kansas struggled twice to finish games where they held a two-possession lead in the fourth quarter. Their inability to finish games against mediocre teams during their non-conference schedule has hurt them going into the conference season. Fans can only hope that coach Charlie Weis used this bye week to work on their holes before visiting Kansas State.

• Updated Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm
  • Edited by Andrew Ruszczyk