McCroy: Waiting for the punchline to Obama’s joke of an administration

With little over a month since the presidential election, analyzing what went wrong with the Romney campaign is a moot point. 3 million registered republican voters stayed home while President Obama was able to capture enough votes in several swing counties within Virginia, Ohio and Florida to win his second term. To attempt to go over exit polls – which by their nature are inexact surveys – would be to lose focus on the current direction of the country.

In order to analyze the immediate and long term ramifications of Nov. 6, it is appropriate and beneficial to analyze the past 30 days, the next 60 days and what we’ve elected for ourselves. The president got what he wanted, his second term. If we take what we told the former Russian President Medvedev in March 2012, the president feels he’ll have more flexibility to really do what he wants this term.

But what does that mean? Does that mean that the entire U.S. economy will be boosted by more part time employment figures? It most likely means we’re all going to feel a rush of patriotism and adrenaline as we collectively fall off the fiscal cliff.

That’s because the president has been on a month long victory lap since his reelection. Forget the fact that the country is doing its best rendition of the Titanic and heading straight for the iceberg of government spending. But lets give the President a break, he hasn’t passed a budget in years, so we’ll understand if he doesn’t quite know how to handle a fiscal debt crisis.

At least the president was honest about who he wanted to tax. And is it any surprise that polling showed the biggest issue for democratic voters on election day was taxing the rich? They want to spend the money, as long as someone else – one of those “fat cats” – foots the bill. Just last week, the President insisted that Congress not only agree to raise taxes on the “rich,” but also to adopt his previously ignored full budget. Obama demands a $1.6 trillion tax increase over the next decade. He is firm in his stance that higher revenues – a fancy political way to say taxes – must come from marginal-rate increases and yet, he offers no policy rationale. He even wants to treat $900 billion in spending cuts he agreed to in 2011 as if they count as new cuts. On top of that, the president wants to take the power of raising the debt ceiling away from Congress and place, yes you guessed it, in his hands. Well that makes sense; let’s give the power to raise our debt ceiling to the person who blatantly wants to raise national debt. At this point, I’m assuming that the president wants to go for a record; the President to blew the most cash during an administration.

But at least we’re all going to keep our insurance. As long as you ignore the fact that in response to Obamacare’s provisions and business-killing agenda, more and more companies are cutting insurance for newly hired employees. Maybe the president should finally look into that Supply & Demand 101 course. Raise demand for health insurance, lower supply – since doctors can’t justify the personal investment of medical school if they won’t be able to make enough to even pay back student loans (see Bloomberg Aug. 29, article about how the doctor shortage may swell to 130,000 due to Affordable Healthcare Act cap) – and what do you get? Companies opting out of employee insurance and higher prices for health care.

And what about the great leaps in oil and natural gas production? The president sat down and lied to all of our faces when he talked about how he was the reason why gas and oil production has risen during his administration. How many times did we hear the president talk about his part in the growth in our nation’s oil and natural gas production? Yet, with the election not a week old, the Department of the Interior issued a final plan to close 1.6 million acres of federal land originally slated for oil shale development. That’s exactly what Mitt Romney attacked the president on during the debates. This administration has played no real part in the growth of oil and natural gas production; the country’s production has risen in spite of the president’s actions. But we’ve seen this kind of behavior before; “you didn’t build this” could easily have been “you didn’t drill this.”

So lets analyze what we’ve got here. A nation headed to fiscal disaster, higher health insurance costs and fewer people under coverage thanks to the worst domestic agenda in decades and an administration that is actively hampering domestic oil production. At least we’ve got a strong Commander-in-Chief who does all he can to protect the lives of American ambassadors and CIA operatives. This is the president that 65 million Americans thought would be a good guy, as long as we ignored everything he said in his first term. Maybe if we stick our heads in the sand for the next four years, it’ll all be better. I’ll be waiting for the punch line to this joke of an administration.

McCroy is a senior majoring in economics from Des Moines, Iowa.

Dylan Lysen is a senior from Andover majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm
  • labman57

The punchline is that the joke is on congressional Republicans. They seem to believe that elections matter only when their party wins the White House and makes gains in both Houses of Congress.

• Eagle_Eyed

So despite the fact every House seat was up for election last time, Republicans in the House who won and maintained a solid majority should roll over?

• http://profile.yahoo.com/CTNH4XST5OR52QQCWS7VK6A4BU Calvin O

I think I heard someone say that elections have consequences. The GOP won the house by more votes than Obama won the White House.

• fiddleback

Wow. You mean the sum of GOP margins of victory in 233 house races was more than 3.5 million? Dazzling statistic! Also interesting: about 500,000 more votes were cast for Democrat House candidates, but re-districting has helped the GOP keep its overall majority…

• http://twitter.com/ScottWeidner Scott Weidner

A great Op-Ed… I haven’t found a better article in any other publication and I feel if this article was published in a national publication before the election quite a few of those swing voters may have decided on Romney

• fiddleback

Yes, I’m sure Billy’s editorial could have made the difference…what a shame.

• fiddleback

Too many partisan myths and half-truths to even bother correcting; this pretty much counts as a Gish Gallup (look it up). And coming from a person who UDK readers knew would be even more rabidly hateful and inchoate after the election, these pieces are now like psychological stool samples. Poor Billy still suffers from the delusion that he’s writing cogent critiques, unaware of the amusing specimens he and his recalcitrant ilk have become. Sign any secession petitions today?

I especially enjoyed this line: “Forget the fact that the country is doing its best rendition of the Titanic and heading straight for the iceberg of government spending.” Except that we’re talking about the fiscal cliff, which you might recall involves massive government CUTS. But don’t let any such cognitive dissonance stop you from your ranting about runaway spending, even when that scenario is now totally precluded…

I expect better from you fiddleback. Mathematically McCroy is correct. A number of people who voted in 2010 stayed home for whatever reason and Obama was able to bribe his people to come out and vote. I still have some questions about 140% voter turnout in Florida but that is for some other time. What McCroy is trying to say (and I have criticized his spelling and grammar as well) is that the people of the United States voted for a failed presidency with failed economic policies. They bought into the lies and the media bias. At least we hope that is the case otherwise they knowingly voted for socialism lite. It has been said for a number of years that the people who don’t pay federal taxes is almost the majority in this country. They may be the majority now. In their zeal for more government programs like Obama phone they fail to understand that the rich can just leave. They act like very small children who laugh at a baby duck while they hold it’s head underwater until it drowns. It amused them and they killed it. Now they turn to the parent and demand another duckling. This parent will give them the duckling.

• fiddleback

I’m not disputing the turn-out math or even the first three paragraphs; it’s the remainder that’s full of more partisan talking points and bitterness than is worth parsing. Likewise, you accuse Obama’s supporters of buying “into the lies and the media bias.” Maybe they just went with their instincts about who was lying *more*? http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mitt-romney/ http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/

As for pervasive bias, what’s clear from the dumbfounded reactions of the R/R campaign and Fox News on election night is that they spent the whole cycle buying entirely into their own pet myths and alternate realities, some of which you seem intent on continuing…

“It has been said for a number of years that the people who don’t pay federal taxes is almost the majority in this country.” Unfortunately, that jump from around 40% to 50% paying no federal tax is attributable both to the 2002 tax cuts and the plunging incomes during the Great Recession…but in any case, continuing to suggest that half the country is comprised of moochers is a great political strategy; don’t let me stop you.

And sure, how about some more ridiculous threats about “going Galt” over a proposed 4% increase in the rate on the top bracket—yes, the top 1% are poor half-drowned baby ducklings who only control a third of the country’s wealth (vs. half as much 30 years ago). Your metaphor is priceless – I wish somebody in the GOP would run with it. http://rwer.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/25-graphics-showing-upward-redistribution-of-income-and-wealth-in-usa-since-1979/

The secession joke is referencing the rooting-for-Obama-to-fail hatred that has led nearly a million citizens to sign such petitions and apparently fantasize about armed rebellion. Admittedly, Billy doesn’t seem quite that strident, militant, or deluded. But again, almost a million are. As for a couple random pre-election rants from Obama supporters, why do you continue to think that ranting about bad apples proves anything? It’s the same dumb generalizing as when you tried to label OWS as anti-semitic or when idiots on the left tried to label the Tea Party racist…such a tired and dim-witted tactic. Give us something cogent to discuss or don’t bother.

• DealWithIt

The punchline is angry republicans like you, writing their tired pre-election talking points, reconfigured for ‘Bitter Mode’, as their target demographic is shrinking and becoming a relic of an America that will no longer exist in the future. It’s a good joke.

• xz007

I think the punchline to your joke of a column is that you successfully made me wish Seth Robinson was back. So bravo for that, but please, in the future, don’t treat an award-winning college newspaper like a blog you can kvetch at with no semblance of professionalism or reality. We’re not the Denny’s breakfast crowd who are just going to nod to all your mularkey, we actually expect something beyond talking points, even from a die-hard such as yourself. Treat us with a bit more respect than that.