Warren: Prioritize basketball vs. academics

jordan warren

There is something special that occurs at the end of October, and classes shouldn’t get in the way of it.

Sure the dog days of classes are weighing heavily upon us, but instead of cracking under the pressure we keep going on little sleep and a whole lot of caffeine. It’s basketball season. There is no time to slack. The name Jayhawk evokes a sense of pride and tradition. The University of Kansas is known for basketball. It is almost mandatory to love it in order to be a Jayhawk. Here, we do it right. We have lottery at 6 a.m., the camping all week long, the sprinting to the best seats, the waiting, the newspaper ripping, the cheering, and ultimately the game.

If our world revolves around the loudest sporting arena in the country and a legendary game with a certain set of rules, then why isn’t everyone participating? Frankly, there exist students that do not want to participate. It’s crazy to believe, I know, but it’s true. Some classes are held in the evening and although I think it’s absolutely absurd that attendance is mandatory, many are not canceled on account of a basketball game. Professors should know that all students are going to do is think of the game, check phones for updates on the game, and not listen to a word spoken. Trust me, I know I am more interested in what @FakeJeffWithey will tweet next than what I am supposed to be learning.

Don’t even get me started on exams. Really? When at a school that’s essence screams “basketball,” why is there an exam scheduled smack dab in the middle of a game? I want to watch the action on the court, not draw pictures on my scantron.

Many students matriculate to the University for the sole experience of basketball in The Phog. It is a huge marketing point for the university for athletes and fans. When I was in fifth grade my friend took me as her guest to watch the Jayhawks play at Kemper Arena in Kansas City. From the moment I heard that first swish of a three-point shot, I was in love. I began to truly appreciate the sport and the tradition of basketball at the University. Basketball means everything here in Lawrence. It is the reason we buy the Sports Combo pack. We love sports and we love our athletes. Therefore, no one should have to choose between basketball and anything else.

I’ll ask the childhood question of if you were stranded on an island and could only have one thing what would it be? My answer: Jayhawk Basketball. It seems like a lot, but it’s the one thing I cannot survive without. I bleed crimson and blue and will forever chant from the top of my lungs: “Rock Chalk Jayhawk!”

Jordan Warren is a junior majoring in journalism from Overland Park. Follow her on Twitter @jordan_mechele.

Jordan Warren is a junior majoring in journalism from Overland Park. Read more from .

• Updated Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm
  • Regina

Not everyone feels this way. I came here for an education. Not to watch basketball. It’s a great add-on, but I’m here for class. Not sports.

• Matthew Sullivan

I’m glad I’m not the only one.

• Lisa Stockton

This has got to be a joke, right?