Guth apologizes for controversial tweet upon return to University of Kansas

Associate journalism professor David Guth, who will return from administrative leave Friday, has issued an apology for his controversial tweet regarding the Navy Yard Shooting in Washington, D.C.

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 7.19.44 PMThe university placed Guth on administrative leave for the Sept. 16 tweet aimed at the National Rifle Association that said, “Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May god damn you.” The tweet came in the wake of the shootings and sparked a strong response from the public and state legislators.

“My September 16 tweet following the Navy Yard shootings has caused a great deal of pain for many people, and for that I apologize,” Guth said in a statement to the Kansan. “Some interpreted my tweet differently than it was intended: I don’t want anyone’s children hurt.”

Thursday, the University announced that Guth would return to the school on Friday but not in a teaching capacity. Provost Jeffrey Vitter made the decision based on the recommendation of a seven-member committee of faculty and staff assembled by Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little.

Associate journalism professor David Guth has apologized for his controversial tweet regarding the Navy Yard Shooting in Washington, D.C. Guth was put on administrative leave following the tweet and returns to the University on Friday.

“The committee conducted a full review, and their input was instrumental in arriving at this decision,” Gray-Little said. “Our decisions throughout this situation have been guided by the facts and the law, respecting the interests of our students and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.”

William Allen White School of Journalism Dean Ann Brill said she wouldn’t comment on personnel issues, but that Guth is returning to assist in the school’s accreditation review.

“We do have a lot of work to do on assessment as we prepare for various levels of accreditation, and that’s some of the work he will be doing,” Brill said.
Guth was placed on leave after reaction to the tweet caused a disruption in the University’s learning environment. The disruptions led to security concerns from University administration.

KU Police said the department’s policy doesn’t allow for comment on University security measures.

Guth took responsibility for the consequences of the controversial tweet in his statement.

“The fact that my words were misconstrued is my fault – I am the professional communicator and I didn’t do a very good job,” Guth said. “For that, I apologize. I also regret that my statements have had a negative impact on the university community.”

This story has been updated from a previous version.

Dylan Lysen is a senior from Andover majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm
  • PistolPeterson

He is NOT sorry. He doubled down on his statement. He meant exactly what he said and there’s no other way to cut it. He’s a typical leftist filled with hate. Read it!

It’s a smoke screen to try and keep his job. He’s still the same evil man that wished death on others and damned people.

Kansas should be ashamed for keeping him. It means they support it too. Disgusting.

• Larry Rappaport

“Some interpreted my tweet differently than it was intended? I don’t want anyone’s children hurt?” As a retired Purple Heart awarded Military Officer Mr. Guth you have not G*d Da**ed me as a lawful firearms owner but that of my entire family and over half this country. You’re apology rings hollow and IMO was only induced so you can continue receiving a tax payer paycheck, that’s it and don’t tell me any different. Where are the good people of Kansas on this, the parents of University students on this? There was no ambiguity as to your statement David and in a fair world you would be in the unemployment line. Enough vitriol Sir and your statement on Twitter will be with us in perpetuity. As such we’ll be following your life and career for a while.

• Jay Bree

What a remarkable non-apology.

One supposes the lack of critical thinking skills as well as integrity accounts for the associate professor in charge of accreditation status.

Enjoy your work where you’re less likely to be offensive.

• JenniferGranholm

Shouldn’t campus safety be a priority over letting this madman back on campus?