Financial cost of skipping class adds up

As you’re sleeping in and skipping that 8 a.m. class, you’re wasting money. But just how much?

1_skippingclass3

George Mullinix/KANSAN
Skipping class can add up. For an in-state student, skipping a three-hour lecture can cost you almost $20.

Students skip class for multiple reasons. They might need to finish up an assignment for a class later in the day, they might be going out of town or they may just want to sleep longer. But skipping class is like throwing money away.

For a first-time freshman in 2012, annual in-state tuition (based on 30 credit hours per year) is $8,790. The cost per credit hour is $293. So skipping a lecture that meets three times per week costs you about $18.30. Skipping a three-credit class that only meets twice per week costs you about $27.40.

Someone could buy three to four fast food meals with $18. They could treat themselves to a nice dinner out on Massachusetts Street or take a couple trips to the movies. About $27 could pay for a new top or, with a few more dollars, a new KU snapback hat.

Michael Ciscos, a senior from Olathe, said that he never really skips class anymore because he can’t afford to miss. He said that if he had that $27.40 to spend on anything, he would spend it on gourmet food or liquor.

Annual tuition for a first-time freshman in 2012 who is not a resident of Kansas is $22,860. The cost per credit hour is $762. If a student were to skip a class that meets three times per week, it would cost them about $47.60. Skipping a three-credit class that only meets twice per week costs about $71.40.

For $47, a student could pay for about nine fast-food meals. Someone could take their boyfriend or girlfriend on a nice date with $47. A student could even buy a good quality phone case with $47. But instead of using that money to buy something extra, it’s wasted on skipping class.

Kayla Smith, a freshman from Rosemount, Minn., said that she usually skips class to finish homework due for a class later in the day. She also said that if she’s going home for the weekend, she may skip class in order to stay there longer.

“If I have a test or homework due, I won’t skip,” Smith said. “But if I have nothing due and something due in another class, I usually skip it.”

Smith said she did not realize skipping a class that meets three times per week costs her about $47. If she had her choice on what to spend that $47 dollars on, she said she would probably buy new clothes.

Marian McCoy, a freshman from Lincoln, Neb., said she has only skipped one class this year because she went out of town. McCoy said that the factors that play a role in her decision to skip or not are the attendance policy of the class and knowing whether they will be covering important information that day.

“I know school costs so much, but it’s interesting seeing it split up by class,” McCoy said.

Hannah Barling is a junior from Arkansas majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:52 pm
  • Edited by Madison Schultz