Senate coalitions prepare for spring election with kickoff parties

KUnited and Ad Astra, the coalitions running in the Student Senate elections in April, both hosted their kickoff parties at The Burger Stand, 803 Massachusetts Street, last week.

Topeka senior Brandon Woodard, KUnited’s 2013 presidential candidate, said that about 80 people showed up to their kickoff party last Wednesday. Woodard said this was more of a meet and greet because KUnited has its regular business meetings on Sundays.

“It was nice to see each other in a social environment,” Woodard said.

Blaine Bengtson, a junior from Salina, is KUnited’s 2013 vice presidential candidate. He is a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences senator and director of Recycle and Blue KU, a past KUnited platform and Student Senate’s recycling program on football game days. Bengtson said that Student Senate has incredible opportunities every year to affect students on a larger scale.

“The experience of giving back to KU at that level is something I wanted to do, and serving as vice president will give me that opportunity,” Bengtson said.

KUnited has been brainstorming ideas and formulating their platforms for the upcoming election in the spring.

Ad Astra’s presidential candidate for next year, Marcus Tetweiller, is a junior from Paola. He is serving as transportation coordinator for the University this year. Tetweiller said that Ad Astra has been working on outreach with student groups that are already involved on campus, but not necessarily with Student Senate.

“It’s been a positive process of laying the ground work so far,” Tetweiller said.

Emma Halling, a junior from Elkhart, Ind., is running as Ad Astra’s 2013 vice president. She is serving as Student Senate’s associate finance senator this year. Halling said about 30 people showed up to their kickoff party at the Burger Stand on Jan. 27.

Halling said they started brainstorming platforms and ideas at the kickoff party.

One of Ad Astra’s main goals is to have a sense of transparency across the board. Presidential candidate Marcus Tetweiller said regardless of how much experience a member has had, they should never hesitate to speak up.

“We have people in our coalition with great ideas to put into action on campus,” Tetweiller said.

Hannah Barling is a junior from Arkansas majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:11 am
  • Edited by Julie Etzler
  • Panther

80>30