Students able to charge phones at new stations

Phone dead? No problem.

Charging stations were installed on the Lawrence and Edwards campus’ during winter break. The installation was an initiative of Student Senate and KU Information Technology.

The project was one of 12 different items on KUnited’s platform this past year. Brandon Woodard, student body vice president, said that this project was made a priority because the idea came from the students.

“You don’t leave your phone at home; everyone has a phone,” Woodard said.

Rachel Brasher, a senior from Ozawkie, said she thinks the stations will be helpful for students.

“I know I’m never responsible about charging my phone,” Brasher said.

Robbie Bondi, a sophomore from Leawood, said he won’t need to use the charging stations because he charges his phone at night.

Once KU IT agreed to fund the project, it worked with KUnited to ensure that 15 charging stations would be installed by the beginning of the Spring 2013 semester. Currently, there are 14 on the Lawrence campus and one on the Edwards campus, and five more stations will be installed at either location during the semester, depending on students’ suggestions.

Each charging unit cost about $300, and the project cost a total of $6,000. Anne Madden Johnson, manager for Client Consulting at KU IT, said IT employees look for more ways to provide new services directly to students, and the charging stations are an inexpensive way to get students something they wanted.

“Everyone lives and dies with their device anymore,” Johnson said.

Each charging station is mounted on the wall and includes eight different charging cords, including two iPhone compatible cords, one iPhone 5 cord, two Blackberry cords and three Samsung and Android compatible cords.

Students, faculty and staff may use the charging stations at any time for free. There is a tray at the bottom of the charging station that will hold the device while it is being charged. The tray is not sturdy enough to hold a laptop, but it can support an iPad or any other tablet.

KU IT is working with student leaders and taking suggestions for improvements for the remaining five stations. Ideas may be posted on their Facebook page at facebook.com/kutechnology.

Below is a map of the cell phone charging stations across campus. Click the pins to find a location near you.

View Charging Stations in a larger map

Hannah Barling is a junior from Arkansas majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm
  • Edited by Nicole Wentling
  • Calvin

Didn’t we already have these? They come stock with your phone when you buy it.