Mount Oread Scholars program ends in May

The Mount Oread Scholars program will end this May after 16 years at the University due to Honors Program expansion.

The Mount Oread program provides resources like living learning communities, seminars and advising for incoming freshmen with high abilities. It is meant to foster a sense of community and help with the transition into college.

“A lot of it is working against the myth that high-ability students are automatically successful the moment they step onto a college campus, and inevitably that’s inaccurate because they’re a student population, just like any, that has special needs,” said Dan McCarthy, scholar adviser.

To be eligible for the program, students must have an ACT score of 28 or higher and graduate in the top 20 percent of their high school class. After their freshman year, they can to mentor incoming freshmen and speak at events.

Kathryn Tuttle, assistant to the provost, said next year, the Honors Program will include Mount Oread Scholars. She said it is a more comprehensive program for high-ability students, and the Honors Program will give them more access to honors courses.

“The Mount Oread Scholars program has been a wonderful program,” Tuttle said. “It’s been great for the students. The staff and faculty that were involved had an excellent program.”

Zach Dennett, a freshman from Winfield, is a member of Mount Oread Scholars and the living learning community at GSP-Corbin Hall. The living learning community houses students taking similar classes on the same floor.

“It’s nice because we do everything as a floor,” Dennett said. “So I have really close connections with my floor. The main thing is I’ve enjoyed all of the activities and that they’ve introduced me to all the friends I have right now. I kind of feel bad that upcoming freshman don’t get the same opportunity I got.”

— Edited by Emma McElhaney

• Updated Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm
  • Edited by Emma McElhaney