Student in August car accident had high blood alcohol level

A University student’s blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit when he critically injured another student after hitting him with his SUV in August.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman, said lab results received last week indicated Julian Kuszmaul, 21, had a blood alcohol level of 0.25, exceeding the legal driving limit of 0.08.

Kuszmaul was driving his Ford Explorer Aug. 26 at about 1:30 a.m. when he struck Colby Liston, an 18-year-old Derby freshman, on the 1600 block of Tennessee Street.

Liston, whose legs had to be amputated after the accident, left a house party and attempted to enter a rear cargo door of an illegally parked Ford Explorer when Kuszmaul’s SUV hit him, pinning Liston between the two vehicles.

According to the accident report, the responding officer smelled both alcohol and marijuana on Kuszmaul’s breath and clothing.

Kuszmaul was not arrested after the accident, but his blood test results have been forwarded to the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office, which will issue any charges in the case.

Dustin Erickson, the 21-year-old driver of the SUV Liston attempted to enter, had a blood alcohol level of .02.

Joanna Hlavacek is a junior from Wichita majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm