Football tickets given away to students for senior night

It may have been a little easier for Kansas Athletics Inc. to hand out free student football tickets Saturday because more than $1 million from student ticket sales is already in the bank.

Travis Young/KANSAN
Kansas fans cheer after a touchdown during the match against Iowa State Cyclones Saturday night Nov. 17 at Memorial Stadium. Kansas fell to Iowa State 23-51.

With 7,400 all-sports student combo tickets sold, Kansas Athletics has made $1.1 million from student ticket sales, with tickets still selling.
Students could buy football-only tickets for $45, but must buy the $150 sports combo to get season basketball tickets.

Jim Marchioni, a spokesman for Kansas Athletics, expects ticket combo sales to be about the same as the 7,700 sold last year.

“The basketball tickets always sell,” he said.

And students like Kayley Hemmy, a Salina freshman, buy combo tickets specifically with basketball in mind.

“I wanted to go to the basketball games,” Hemmy said. “I haven’t been to a full football game.”

But other students like Vincent Jerkovich, a Salina junior, don’t mind paying a little extra for football tickets.

“I think it’s a pretty good deal,” Jerkovich said, admitting he had not gone to many football games this year. “I buy them because I love sports, and I guess the money is probably still worth it even if you just go to the basketball games.”

Marchioni said the total sales numbers of combo tickets are not as high as in 2008 or 2009, when both football and basketball programs were excelling. Despite the student sales, Marchioni said about 7,000 more general admission football tickets were sold.

“It has a lot to do with the excitement surrounding Charlie Weis,” Marchioni said.

All football ticket sales, including student tickets, make up about 10 percent of Kansas Athletics roughly $65 million total revenue.

Marchioni said the department stood to make little by giving away tickets to Saturday’s game, not even off concession sales.

“We’re not counting on one dime more from concessions,” he said. “This is really all about supporting the seniors.”

Though Jerkovich had only gone to a couple home games using the tickets he paid for, he planned to go Saturday for free.

“It really doesn’t bother me that I paid for tickets and they are giving them away,” Jerkovich said. “I think it’ll be good to go tell the seniors we appreciate them for playing such a rough season.”

• Updated Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm
  • Edited by Andrew Ruszczyk