KU Dance Marathon raises more than $60,000 Saturday

Amid all the food, games, music and lights, 550 participants filled the Kansas Union Ballroom Saturday to do their part to help children coping with disease. Students stayed on their feet for 12 straight hours in honor of hospitalized kids.

Travis Young/KANSAN
Participants of the KU Dance Marathon take a break to listen to children’s stories about how their diseases has affected their lives. KU Dance Marathon is a fundraising event where 100 percent of the proceeds go towards local children and families through KU pediatrics.

The University hosted its fifth Dance Marathon last Saturday, a program sponsored by the Children’s Miracle Network that raises money for hospitalized children and their families.

The University is the second school in the country to host two Dance Marathons in a year; the first was in February. Saturday’s Dance Marathon raised $61,032.88, and $60,040.70 was raised during February’s event, equaling $121,073.58 this year. One-hundred percent of the proceeds go to sick children and their families.

Twenty of these families attended Saturday’s event. Students are able to show solidarity with the Miracle Children by wearing hospital bracelets throughout the marathon that are taken off by the kids at the end of the night.

Carly Adams, a senior from Sedgwick, participated in the marathon for the second time this year. She said that getting to know the kids and hearing their stories is inspiring.

“At the end of the day, we can take off our hospital bracelets, but they can’t,” Adams said.

“Around the World” was the theme for this year’s marathon. Each hour represented a different country with food and music. Genuine Imitation, an a cappella group from the school of music, kicked off the marathon with a performance accompanied by the African Drum Ensemble. Simultaneous games of flip cup stretched from the ballroom entrance to the stage. The Miracle Children and student dancers also played a human version of foosball.

Participants and the Miracle Children learned a morale dance to do together at the end of the marathon. Different sections of the dance were designated to a specific country.

Emily Jones, a sophomore from Lindsborg, said the dance marathon was a lot of fun for the kids, as well as a valuable experience for students.

“The morale dance tied together the theme of the marathon in a way that we could share with the Miracle Children,” Jones said.

Students could also participate in Dance Dance Revolution, Zumba and yoga with the kids.

Mike Marcus, a sophomore from Shawnee, danced in the marathon this year for a more personal reason. He grew up with one of the Miracle Children and wanted to support him in the best way possible.

“There’s no current cure for his disease, so he’s constantly fighting,” Marcus said. “Being part of a cause and helping him find a cure means a lot to me.”

Hannah Barling is a junior from Arkansas majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm
  • Edited by Joanna Hlavacek