KU Dance Marathon raises money for Children’s Miracle Network

From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. this Saturday, students have the opportunity to make a difference in their community.

Ashleigh Lee/KANSAN
Students dance to student band Down With Gravity as they played a set during the last semeseters KU Dance Marathon on Saturday, Feb. 4, in the Ballroom of the Kansas Union to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network. This is the fourth year for the dance marathon and had a turn out of around 250 people.

The University will host its fifth Dance Marathon this Saturday in the Kansas Union Ballroom. Dance Marathon is a program under the Children’s Miracle Network that raises money for children and their families at hospitals in the area. Students stand on their feet for 12 straight hours supporting the children who can’t.

Twenty Miracle Children and their families have signed up for Saturday’s event. While some are healthy and done with treatments, others are still fighting.
Kendall Kohnle, director of public relations for KU Dance Marathon, hopes to work with kids in need someday and said the Dance Marathon is a life-changing experience. She said seeing how strong the kids are is encouraging and an inspiration.

The event kicks off with an opening ceremony, followed by a day full of music, food, games and dancing. “Around the World” is the theme for this fall’s Dance Marathon. A different country will be represented each hour with authentic food. A closing ceremony will conclude KUDM.

Holly Good, a sophomore from Shawnee, said being a part of KUDM puts a lot into perspective.

“Seeing how passionate the steering committee is makes me think about what a big difference you can make when you stand for something meaningful,” Good said.

Even though it’s a dance marathon, KUDM is centered around the kids. Students are encouraged to help in any way they can. KUDM participants can sign up in teams beforehand to fundraise and get their friends involved.

Participants can register until the day of the event for a $20 registration fee. At this point, 435 students have already registered.

The University hosted a Dance Marathon in February, raising $60,040.70. After this weekend, Kansas will become the second school in the country to have hosted two marathons in one year. Their fundraising goal for the year is $100,000.

Hannah Barling is a junior from Arkansas majoring in journalism. Read more from .

• Updated Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:04 pm
  • Edited by Madison Schultz