National Pan-Hellenic Council to hold step show in Kansas Union

An old tradition is being revived at the University through Greek life on campus.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) will be performing a step show on Saturday in the Woodruff Auditorium in the Kansas Union.

“When we were asked by NPHC to help sponsor the step show, we thought it was a perfect opportunity to help showcase the talent here at KU,” said Student Union Activities Cultural Programming Coordinator Subha Upadhyayula, a sophomore from Leawood.

Stepping is a form of dance in which the dancers use their bodies as percussion instruments to set the beat. The step show had been a tradition at the University dating back to the mid-1990s.

“We haven’t done it in two years, and so many people remember it,” said NPHC member Chris Cushinberry, a junior from Topeka. “We’re trying to get it back for KU.”

There will be six acts performing at the show, including University fraternities Phi Beta Sigma and Kappa Alpha Psi, and sorority Zeta Phi Beta. There are three other outside acts: the University’s Dance Unity, the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence and the Lawrence High School step team.

Cushinberry, a member of Phi Beta Sigma, talked about the more historical aspects of the show.

“NPHC’s governance is African-American greeks here at KU, and it’s been a tradition that we participate in step shows,” he said. “It all goes back to our chapter’s history, and to keep this tradition going is an honor. The preparation and hype for it will have lots of people coming.”

Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity member Stan Parker, a senior from the Kansas City area, also expressed his excitement about the upcoming performance.

“I want KU to come out and support us in large numbers and get exposed to step culture,” he said. “Also, they should have a good time.”
Zeta Phi Beta member Courtney Newman, a senior from Leavenworth, also talked about the upcoming performance.

“It’s good to be able to add different things to my life besides academics,” Newman said. “It’s nice to take a break and have fun with something like this.”

Upadhyayula, a first-time member of SUA, expects the extensive advertising for the event will help draw people in.

“There are calendars and posters everywhere, and I expect it to be a blast and a lot of fun,” she said.

Doors will open at 7:15 p.m. for the 8 p.m. show. Tickets are $7 in advance, $10 at the door and $5 with a Student Saver Card.

Elly Grimm is a journalism major from Conway Springs. Read more from .

• Updated Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm
  • Edited by Madison Schultz