Student senate vice president arrested

The Student Senate vice president was arrested Saturday morning and booked into Douglas County Jail on suspicion of operating under the influence.

Brandon Woodard, a 22-year-old senior from Topeka, was pulled over during a traffic stop at 1:17 a.m. on the 200 block of West 23rd Street, said Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman.

During the stop, the officer determined Woodard had been drinking and arrested him. According to the Douglas County booking report, Woodard posted a $500 bond and was released Saturday at 3:42 a.m.

Woodard acknowledged the charge and released a statement.

“I currently have a court date set for mid-October and have no further comment until the ruling of the court,” Woodard said.

The charges are filed through the Lawrence Municipal Court. Jerry Little, a city prosecutor, said it would take several days before the court began processing the ticket or had details to release surrounding the case.

According to Student Senate rules and regulations, senate members can be impeached and removed from office if “injury to the integrity of the Student Senate or any of its boards or committees” is found. The bill of impeachment must be signed by one-fourth of the voting members, but student body president Hannah Bolton said she will stand by Woodard throughout the court process.

“It’s Brandon’s matter, but I have complete support for him during this process,” Bolton said.

• Updated Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm
  • Edited by Emma McElhaney