KU flushes its one-ply toilet paper

Students are relieved to discover something new on campus this fall: higher quality toilet paper.

The University is rolling out two-ply toilet paper across campus after student complaints about the campus’s quality of toilet paper surfaced last November.

Ryan Benedick/KANSAN

An article published in The Kansan detailed students’ frustration with the one-ply paper. After garnering attention from students, the alumni magazine, and The Lawrence Journal World, KU Facility Services have now adopted two-ply toilet paper campus wide.

“There was quite a bit of grassroots action on the issue,” said Steve Green, the assistant director of KU Facility Services. “We tried a pilot program and decided to go campus wide with the two ply product.”

Green said the toilet paper vendor was able to supply the two-ply tissue at no additional cost to students.  For fiscal year 2012, Green ordered 103,584 rolls of the two-ply product at a cost of $93,000, which means each student is expected to wipe out three and a half rolls at a cost of $3.10.

Sami Franiuk, a junior from Tonganoxie, has already noticed a difference, after finding the one-ply paper to be low quality and uncomfortable.

“It wasn’t my number one concern, but I am pleased that they switched,” Franiuk said. “I like that they listened to what the students have to say and that they followed through.”

Andrew Jensen, a senior from Everest, would sometimes “hold it” until he left campus to avoid the one-ply toilet paper.

“Now that there’s a better product, I’m willing to give it another shot,” Jensen said.

This is not the first time the University has seen higher quality toilet paper.  Don Steeples, former senior vice provost for the University, recalls a vendor supplying higher quality paper nearly 10 years ago. But the supply did not last long after students began to steal it, he said.

“The fact that you would go into a stall and somebody had stolen the roll of toilet paper can be a real disappointment,” Steeples said. “Once the supply was used up then everything after that had chunks of wood still in it.”

Cole Bittel, a junior from Basehor, hopes the two-ply product is here to stay, as he too was frustrated with the one-ply toilet paper.

“I was always worried about getting turd on my hand because it would break,” Bittel said.

Bittel also wants students to keep  their eyes open for any toilet paper thieves.

“You would have to be really flaky to steal toilet paper, just like how the one-ply paper was,” Bittel said.

Marshall Schmidt is a graduate student majoring in biomedical engineering from Mount Hope. Read more from .

• Updated Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm
  • Edited by Andrew Ruszczyk
  • Toiletpaperlover

I love this article. Especially the enlightening comments by Cole Bittel.