‘50 jobs’ project replaces traditional job search

In 2008 after failing yet another job interview, Daniel Seddiqui wondered to himself where all the job opportunities were in the United States. Soon after, he embarked on a journey to work a different job in each of the 50 states.

As a follow-up to “50 Jobs in 50 States,” Seddiqui is lecturing at colleges across the country about finding a career, finding your passion and understanding culture and lifestyle.

Seddiqui’s lecture at the University is Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. The lecture will be in the Big 12 room in the Kansas Union.

Q: What ultimately inspired you to work 50 jobs in 50 states?

A: A combination of building awareness and desperation. I couldn’t find work after college, so naturally I wanted to find opportunities anyway that I could, and learn what I’ve been doing wrong. There were many breaking points that led me to the journey, so there were enough signs to say, hey, I’ve got to do something drastic and unconventional.

Q: What was your favorite job? What was your least favorite?

A: There are many great jobs out there that I wouldn’t have otherwise discovered, like forecasting weather on TV or hydrology, where we hiked in the Rocky Mountains. I really liked most jobs because it was a chance to learn different industries that shape our country.  The worst was lobstering in Maine because of being seasick and I couldn’t control my performance on the site.

Q: What state did you like the most?

A: I liked all places that I hadn’t visited previously, like Arkansas, Kansas and South Carolina, because I wanted to learn about what the rest of the country goes through.

Q: What job did you work in Kansas? Did you enjoy it?

A: Meatpacking, and no. It was great to finally learn how food is processed, which I appreciate the work people choose, but it wasn’t out of sight, out of mind, in the job. That’s what made it tough, the fact that you had to face the discomfort of gunning down animals and then processing them by hand, no machinery used.

Q: What was the most challenging job?

A: All were a challenge and that’s what helped me succeed in the journey because everything was stimulating and new.

Q: How difficult was it to find a job?

A: When you’re not focused, it could be a near impossible task. When you know what you want, you’ll find ways to make it happen. In that sense, yes I was rejected 5,000 times, but that was taken out of the equation for me.

Ryan Wright is journalism major from Wichita, KS. Read more from .

• Updated Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:00 pm