Super Bowl is perfect for fashionable comfort

If you’re like me, you’re going to be spending the Super Bowl drooling over Beyoncé and using it as just another excuse to support wedge sneakers and the athletic trend. What is this athletic trend I speak of? It’s quite possibly the most convenient movement in fashion since the beginning of time. Alexander Wang, DKNY and Isabel Marant are all supporters of the comfort meets chic theme. Try pairing a classic graphic Adidas trefoil tee with a pair of feminine printed pants and heels and you’ve found yourself a match made in heaven.

The thought of a heel and sneaker combination scare you? Both the halftime act, queen Beyoncé, and Victoria’s Secret’s front woman Miranda Kerr wear them nonstop. The sneakers also give you a hidden and subtle lift, causing your legs to instantly look slimmer and longer. What more could you want in a shoe? They’re comfortable, and make you look skinnier. They suddenly sound much more appealing, don’t they?

Super Bowl Sunday couldn’t be a better time to try the trend. Rather than throwing on a jersey and jeans and matching 40-year-old drunken beer bellies nationwide, incorporate your favorite team’s colors into your outfit instead. Baseball hats are huge on runways right now too, thanks to Tracy Reese, Jen Kao and Lacoste. The trick is to always have a girly edge to go with your sporty look. My favorite ways to include femininity are pops of pink, lipstick, or some faux fur. Sporty can be glam when it’s done the right way.

Color blocking is another great way to support your team. Luckily, both the 49ers and the Ravens have great colors to work with. Rich hues are always fun to wear head to toe, so whether it’s purple or red, you’ll be looking royally stylish.

Whether you’ll be wearing your preferred teams colors or a Destiny’s Child concert tee this Sunday, be sure to wear it fashionably. Just because you’re pretending to watch football doesn’t mean you should let the fashion slide. Think Sporty Spice meets Posh Spice, and you’ll be the real winner come Feb. 3.

Callan Reilly is a journalism major from Everywhere. Read more from .

• Updated Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm
  • Edited by Megan Hinman