The Beast haunted house good for a fright and a horrifying Friday night

October has arrived and with it brings chilly mornings, pumpkin-flavored everything and Halloween. Lucky for us, one of America’s top-rated haunted houses is within our reach.

The Beast, located in the West Bottoms of Kansas City, Mo., is only one of four haunted houses owned by Full Moon Productions. Although it stands alongside The Edge of Hell, Macabre Cinema and The Chambers of Edgar Allen Poe, The Beast is the largest and one of the most terrifying haunted houses in America.

Michelle Tucker, a senior from Wichita, is visiting the haunted houses this week with hopes that they live up to their reputation.

“I haven’t been [to The Beast] so it’s a little bit more exciting, and I’ve heard good recommendations about it,” Tucker said. “I think it would be better than the ones in Topeka.”

Tim Diaz, 24, and Alicia Barrett, 23, travelled two hours for the beastly happenings. Diaz has walked through other Full Moon haunted houses but never experienced The Beast. He is anxious to see what is in store, he said.

For the awaiting groups outside, The Beast has provided video footage of horrified patrons and an over-sized werewolf that stalks the front gates.

“It’s almost like they are warning you of the horrors to come.” Barrett said.

Once allowed inside, The Beast offers a 40-minute nightmare housing dark mazes, a foggy werewolf forest, Jack the Ripper’s London streets and alligator-infested swamps. The Beast prides itself on having an open layout design with no lines moving through the scenes. The house wants every guest to be a part of the action rather than simply viewing.

While inside the Werewolf Forest, guests are forced to find the exit in total darkness. “It drives up every abandonment issue one could ever have,” The Beast’s website read. Werewolves stalk the forest every 30 minutes to aid the frantically lost or scare the frantically looking.

If guests manage to make their way through the entire haunted house, the only outlet is a four-story slide that is “straight down and faster than you might find comfortable.” Once completed, guests have the option of enjoying a snack bar and gift shop.

“The slide probably scared me the most out of everything,” Diaz said. “It was just a lot of darkness – more finding your way around than things actually being scary.”

Barrett disagreed.

“It was plenty scary for me,” she said. “There was this guy basically blocking a doorway. You have to move around him with him standing inches away from you – and a guy with a chainsaw. I had my eyes closed the whole time.”

Ticket pricing varies on night but can range from $23 to $27 per haunted house. Bundling for more than one haunted house is an option. Parking and Hay Ride to and from the houses are free. Hours of operation vary, but the houses are normally open Thursday through Sunday. Check out www.kcbeast.com for more information.

• Updated Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm
  • Edited by Sarah McCabe