Delta Rae to perform at the Bottleneck

Newly-emerging band Delta Rae has performed in front of late-night TV audiences on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Conan,” featured on NPR’s Mountain Stage, as well as being selected as part of Rolling Stone’s “Women Who Rock” campaign, eventually losing to pop duo Karmin. And tonight, the band will play at the Bottleneck.

The six-person group hails from Durham, N.C. and includes siblings Ian, Eric and Brittany Holljes, along with Elizabeth Hopkins, drummer Mike McKee and bassist Grant Emerson. The group is now on tour promoting the release of its debut album, “Carry the Fire.”

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Up-and-coming band Delta Rae will perform at the Bottleneck tonight. The group is on tour promoting their new album, “Carry the Fire.”

The inspiration for the album’s title came from how each person must define their own lives while living on Earth.

“It’s saying that we’re just moving forward, and we don’t have control over what the next generation does or what they do with what we give them,” Ian said. “We only get so long on Earth, so all we can do is carry the fire.”

The album was released in June, and this is the group’s first time playing in Lawrence with new material. Its sound is rooted in four-part harmonies, with an added flare of Southern influence on the traditional Americana. Each song on the album tells shared stories of the band’s past.

The group has already earned a reputation for having incredible live performances, Ian said on the band’s website. An added pleasure in its performances is the use of chains rattling on a trashcan lid, a unique idea when compared with typical percussion.

“A lot of times, we’d come down off stage and sing something in the middle of the audience, or be screaming out as opposed to singing in order to convey the emotion, to find something primal that will affect people,” Ian said.

Doors will open at 8 p.m, and Delta Rae goes on at 9 p.m. The show is free to attend.

Lyndsey Havens is a journalism major from Chicago, Ill. Read more from .

• Updated Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:20 am
  • Edited by Christy Khamphilay