Porch drinking season has arrived (weather permitting)

Take a drive down Tennessee or Kentucky streets on a warm Saturday afternoon, and you will find dozens of students socializing on a porch or lawn. Porch drinking is a popular pastime for students in Lawrence, especially during the spring and summer months when the weather is warm enough to spend a few hours outside.

TYLER ROSTE/KANSAN Friends at their house located on Ohio street drink some beers and enjoy the nice weather. With the Spring here and the weather getting nicer, people are beginning to spend more time drinking out doors on their front porches and front yards.

For Travis Seipel, a junior from San Francisco, the warm spring weather reminds him of home. He said he is taking advantage of his first-floor apartment’s porch located just a block north of Memorial Stadium.

“This is the first time since football season that it’s been warm enough to drink outside,” Seipel said. “I’m definitely utilizing the nice weather.”

Seipel has been at his residence since August, and his apartment proved to be a popular spot during football and basketball games. Recently, his apartment has been a popular hangout for his friends to meet up and enjoy a few drinks outside.

“It’s not as busy here as it was during football season, but I imagine graduation will bring out more people,” Seipel said.

Seipel has a custom-made beer pong table that he and a friend made out of a door a couple of years ago. He has the table set up on the lawn most Fridays and Saturdays for anyone who wants to challenge Seipel and his roommates to a game of beer pong.

One of Seipel’s friends, Joey Lamping, a junior from Wichita, frequents Seipel’s house because of its location: There are plenty of other students around, and it’s close to a liquor store.

“We drink out here pretty much any time it’s over jacket weather,” Lamping said.

Lamping said that when the weather is nice enough, he usually spends his Saturdays drinking outside with friends.

“We’ll play beer pong, washers, some other drinking games,” he said.  “It’s just nice to enjoy the mild spring weather because it will be ungodly hot in a few weeks.”

Seipel and Lamping have made friends with Seipel’s neighbors, and usually the three residencies will join into one large get-together. They will share beer, cups and food and usually play several rounds of beer pong.

“It’s definitely a plus having neighbors that are cool with what we’re doing,” Seipel said.

Although porch drinking might seem like a Saturday afternoon activity, Seipel admits to drinking during the weekdays on occasion.

“But only if I have classes late the next day,” Seipel said.

After a long day — and usually night — of drinking, Seipel picks up the cans, bottles and cups that are scattered across his lawn and throws them into his trashcan outside, which is nearly filled to the brim with trash. He said it only gets really messy when there’s a large amount of people.

Seipel and Lamping plan on spending most of their Saturdays enjoying a few drinks with the company of their friends outside on the porch and lawn.

“There’s just something about nice weather that makes drinking outside so relaxing,” Seipel said.

• Updated May. 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm
  • Edited by Megan Hinman
  • sal

Thanks, Kansan, for another hard-hitting front-page article. For how laughably bland this is, this could have been in the Onion.