Relive some great moments from Allen Fieldhouse before the 800th game

Basketball history is everywhere in Allen Fieldhouse. You can sense the ghosts of Wilt Chamberlain and “Phog” Allen anytime you curl your feet around the wooden bleachers or tilt your head up to the rafters filled with banners. The halls are bursting with shining trophies, gigantic murals and, above all else, memories. Memories from games only seen in bits on the flashy video board or grainy video clips online. It’s the 800th regular season men’s basketball game in Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday against Oklahoma. Here are a few memorable moments from the past 799.

• After three years of construction, the Fieldhouse opened on March 1, 1955, with a Kansas victory over Kansas State. The Jayhawks came out victorious against the Wildcats with a 77-67 win.

• Before Danny Manning, the school’s all-time leading scorer, left to have a career in the NBA, he squeezed out a few indelible performances. One of the best for Manning came against Digger Phelps and the Fighting Irish on Feb. 8, 1987. Manning dropped 40 points that game as Kansas beat Notre Dame 70-60. It was Manning’s best performance in the Phog behind a 42-point effort against Missouri State later that year.

• 150 points is major accomplishment in college basketball. It means even more against a powerhouse like Kentucky. The Jayhawks dropped 80 points in the first half and went on to put another 70 points to set the school record for most points in a game. The final score: Kansas 150 Kentucky 95.

Note: This video is the first part of this game. Go to YouTube to find the entire game. 

• In his first varsity game inside Allen Fieldhouse, Wilt Chamberlain started off his career with a bang on Dec. 3, 1956. The Jayhawks crushed the Northwestern Wildcats behind Chamberlain’s 52 points. That record still stands as the most points scored in a single game by any Kansas Basketball player.

• In one of the more memorable Final Four runs for Kansas, no game was bigger than Nick Collison’s 24-point, 23-rebound performance that led the Jayhawks over Texas by the score of 90-87 on Jan. 27, 2003. For those who watched on television, this was the game ESPN commentator Dick Vitale gave Collision a standing ovation.

• It was a day full of record-setting accomplishments on March 3, 2007 when Kansas came back from a 12-point deficit to win 90-86 over the Texas Longhorns. On that day, Kansas won its 1,900th all-time game and clinched its 50th conference title. However, what is still remembered most is Texas’ Kevin Durant’s 25 point first half. He finished the game with a total of 32 points.

First Half highlights:

Second Half highlights:

• Raef LaFrentz, Billy Thomas, and Kansas won 83-70 over Oklahoma on Feb. 23, 1998, completing their careers as Jayhawks undefeated at home. There was also a man by the name of Paul Pierce that even made Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson impressed with his 31-point performance that night.

• With the Border War appearing to be on hold for the near future, Kansas’ 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri proved to be one of the greatest games in the rivalries history while also adding to the lore of the Fieldhouse. As you might remember, The Jayhawks overcame a 19-point second half deficit to force overtime and the eventual victory.

• Updated Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm
  • Edited by Tyler Conover
  • http://www.facebook.com/Logan.Zane1 Logan Zane

Umm
    Guys….According to records(and the name of the video) KU beat
    Kentucky 150 to 95 in 1989. Well, watching the game on youtube, KU was
    at 148, then had 2 free throws, made both to make it 150, and then
    scored on a put back tip about 30 seconds later. They nationally showed
    the score as 152-91 at the time, and kentucky scored 2 more baskets
    near the end. At the end of the game, they said 150-95…….is there
    like a cap that you can only score 150 so the last basket didn’t count
    or did the tv station and announcer mess up or did the league mess up
    and literally no one catch it? Explain this to me!!!!

• David

Kansas made a basket at the end but they looked at it and said it he time had expired so it was put on the board, then waved off. It ended 150-95