Good For You, Bad For You: Wearing Socks to Bed

Kayleen Lindstrom, a freshman from St. Charles, Mo., layers her clothing before going to sleep when it’s cold outside, wearing pants, long-sleeves and tall socks. She says she cold easily during the night, so she wears socks because when her toes are warm, so is the rest of her body. “I love socks,” Lindstrom says. “I have a drawer in my dorm dedicated to socks.”

Wearing socks on cold feet to bed has benefits such as helping you sleep better and increasing your blood circulation, says Ted King, doctor and National Medical Director of Vein Clinics of America. “If my feet are cold, I’m probably not going to fall asleep near as quickly as when my feet are hot,” King says.

Though there’s no danger if your feet get hot from wearing socks, but you may lose sleep because the heat will wake you up more often. Your body always generates the same amount of heat whether you wear socks or not, remaining at 98.6 degrees, unless you have a fever. “You don’t really have the potential of causing any type of heat damage or thermal injury if you’re a diabetic with loss of sensation and wearing socks,” King says.

Tall socks are OK to wear even if they feel slightly tight because they aren’t applying any significant amount of pressure. Wearing tall, tight socks may make your feet feel better at the end of the day because the pressure increases circulation, which can help your legs feel less tired, less heavy and have less swelling, King says. “I don’t know of any good reason why somebody should be concerned about wearing a sock if they want to,” he says.

Verdict: Good for you, especially tall socks.

• Updated Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:00 am