Four athletes sign letter of intent to rowing team

The Kansas' Varsity Four stretches their lead over Kansas State in their race Saturday morning at the 14th Annual Governor Cup. The Varsity Four would defeat Kansas State by more than nine seconds with a time of 7:38.4. Kansas State would defeat Kansas 16-14.

The Kansas' Varsity Four stretches their lead over Kansas State in their race Saturday morning at the 14th Annual Governor Cup. The Varsity Four would defeat Kansas State by more than nine seconds with a time of 7:38.4. Kansas State would defeat Kansas 16-14. -Chris Bronson

Four athletes signed to national letters of intent to join the rowing team at Kansas next season, KU Athletics announced Tuesday. All four will attend the University of Kansas and will be eligible to compete next fall.

Casey Kelly from Gladstone, Mo., Briana Piña from Wichita, Hannah Arch from Lawrence and Breeona Foster from Pleasant Hill, Mo. are all high school seniors who will be rowing under head coach Rob Catloth for the 2012-13 season.

Although none of the recruits have ever rowed competitively, Catloth believes that they will have an immediate impact on the team. All four of the girls have played multiple years of high school sports and therefore possess athletic ability.

Arch, who is team co-captain for her senior season, is a three-year letterwinner at Free State High School for the swim team and placed 6th place at the state

“Hannah has good height and because of her swimming background it should be an easy transition to rowing,” said Catloth. “Swimming is a good changeover to rowing because they both have similar training.”

Kelly’s athleticism stems from her four years of playing high school volleyball for Winnetonka High School.

“We’re excited about her athletic potential,” said Catloth. “She will provide some great depth to our novice program in her first year.”

Foster, two-time all-conference basketball player, excelled during her time at Pleasant Hill High School. Last year, during her junior campaign, Foster helped her team reach the State quarterfinals

“She’s a really strong athlete who should make an impact very early on in her rowing career,” Catloth said.

Piña participated in cross country and track & field at Goddard High School, but she was recruited by Catloth to be the coxswain on the boat. The coxswain sits at the front and keeps the rowers together.

“We are really impressed with the leadership that she has shown,” Catloth said. “We hope she will continue to use that leadership in the boat.”

There are eight senior rowers graduating in the spring, so the team is thankful for the new recruits and are hoping to see more signees later in the signing season.

Edited by Stefanie Penn

• Updated Dec. 6, 2011 at 2:23 am