KU alum appointed District Judge

Kansas 10th District Court Judge, David Hauber, credits his new appointment to the education he received at at KU.</p>
<p>

Kansas 10th District Court Judge, David Hauber, credits his new appointment to the education he received at at KU.</p> <p> -Contributed photo

Governor Kathleen Sebelius appointed David Hauber District Court Judge of the 10th Judicial District in Johnson County on June 5. Hauber, University alumnus, takes his post in July. Sebelius interviewed three of the 17 applicants.

Hauber earned his bachelor’s degree in Journalism in 1977 before returning to earn a law degree in 1983. Hauber said he would not have been able to become a successful lawyer and judge if it were not for his education at the University.

“I feel very fortunate that at both schools, I got the best of the best when it came to teachers,” Hauber said.

He first became interested in law while taking the First Amendment Law journalism course. After earning his bachelor’s degree, he worked for the Topeka Capital-Journal as a reporter, where his interest in law was rekindled while covering courthouses.

Hauber has practiced law for 25 years and his wife Kate, 1976 alumna, is a lawyer as well.

The two met 35 years ago during the first week of their freshman year on the steps of Ellsworth Hall while watching a storm.

“I had never seen anything like it before,” Hauber said. “Being from New Jersey, we don’t sit outside looking for tornados.”

Hauber and Kate married by the end of their freshman year. Kate returned to the University with Hauber to earn a law degree as well. She practices real estate law at the law firm of Stinson Morrison Hecker in Kansas City, Mo.

Kate said she was proud of her husband after he was appointed District Court Judge and that it was a decision he thought long and hard about.

“He’s always felt strongly about the importance of the judiciary system,” she said. “It’s a way for him to give back.”

Hauber will leave his law firm at Baty Holm and Numrich, P.C., in Shawnee, where he practices both plaintiff and defense work for small businesses, insurance companies and individuals.

One of his law firm partners, Ken Holm, 1966 alumnus, has known Hauber for 20 years.

“I’m very proud of him, but sad to see him leave,” Holm said. “He is very bright and a great writer. KU prepared him well and he’ll be a great judge.”

Hauber’s son Michael, Shawnee sophomore, said he too was proud of his father and that this would be a dramatic change for the family.

“My dad joked that I can’t be wild anymore because he can’t bail me out,” he said.

Hauber filled the spot of the retired Honorable Janice D. Russell. His term runs until November 2010 and his name will appear on the ballot for Johnson County voters to decide if he is retained.

- Edited by Asher Fusco

• Updated Jun. 21, 2008 at 6:00 am